"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, October 3, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Our Puppy

On Monday we were told you didn't
have much more time.  I naively
thought we still had a few months
or at least a few weeks with you.
On Tuesday we took you to the
park.   You loved those car rides!
The whole time, Ted and I 
wondered how much time we 
had left with you.  
You had trouble seeing.
Ted helped guide you.
Ordinarily, we would have had to
keep you on a leash.  Your hound instincts
would kick in and you'd run like a shot.  
We didn't have to worry about 
that this day.
I'm so glad we gave you 
you this day.
Despite how bad the kids
and I felt, I knew Ted hurt more
than any of us.  Even though I was the
one who picked you out of all the other dogs,
you made it very clear that you 
belonged to Ted.
The sun felt so good on your
face, didn't it, Blue?
Wednesday night we woke up to the
sound of you whimpering.
 We knew it was time.
You trusted us to take care of you.
We wouldn't let you down.
We had ol' Blue for almost 14 years.
I never thought saying goodbye 
to him would be this hard.




10 comments:

  1. I am sitting here at my desk with tears running down my cheeks. I am so sorry for your loss but so happy to see that Blue got to have one more car ride, one more day at the park. Dogs are such amazing creatures the way they come into our lives and find a place in our hearts. Rest in Peace sweet Blue.

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so sorry for your loss and I have tears in my eyes too! Our pets are such a huge part of our family, it is so hard to let them go. May you be at peace knowing he is not in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This broke my heart. How lucky was that dog that you took care of him and gave him all that love for 14 years. I know your pain, but he had a good life and a good death. That's the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how it feels-I've been through it.So sorry Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you virtual hugs. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I feel so bad for your loss that is just the hardest thing to go through.. our Charlie is getting old and I know that time will come all to soon for us. ):

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry. It's very hard to have your beloved pet put to sleep...sending hugs...
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwwww.............. (((((((HUGS))))))))!!!!! Im so sorry for you and your family. I know how awful that pain is. Blue was blessed to have you all and he knew that, Ive no doubt. You gave him a wonderful life and the gift of love. heart breaking, none the less. more hugs!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going through your blog and saw this. Oh, so sad. But such a nice photo journal of your beloved pet. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry for your loss of Blue.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!