"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, September 4, 2014

Vintage Halloween Dress-Me dolls

Just finished "upcycling" a group of
1930s-1940s Dress-Me dolls
into Halloween beauties.
 They come to me completely naked,
except for a pair of shoes.  The perfect
blank slate.
Just one doll can take a few hours to make.
Deciding on what she should wear,
searching for the right accessories,
finding the right supplies,
deciding which colors complement
each other - it's very time-consuming -
but in a good way!
I like when they get a little disheveled!
The netting and black velvet leaf
accentuating this witch's hat come
off a 1930's lady's hat.   The silver 
embellishments are pieces
of old Christmas decorations.
Her belt buckle is actually a chunk
off a vintage pin.

Working with the glittery witch gave
me the idea to make a black cat.

The body of the cat is encrusted in layers
upon layers of black glitter.  A mess to
work with, but the look is spooktacular!
She carries a vintage pumpkin, which
was once a cupcake pick.

I didn't forget her tail!
And after taking these pictures I realized she
needed a black nose so I painted that on.
And my favorite one of all: 
The "Fairy Witch" doll, made by Mary.
Didn't she do a nice job?
I would have never thought to add
wings, nor did I ever imagine a "Fairy"
Witch.  Thanks to Mary's idea, I now might
make a few fairies or angels too.

And of course, no day of working in the art
room is complete without Oreo making
himself comfortable. 
He just can't resist chewing on
my pipe cleaners.
This group of dolls (except for Mary's, which
we plan on keeping) have been sold.  A new
bunch has been started though, including
another black cat and even a red devil!
 
 

5 comments:

  1. They are just wonderful! What fun you are having with all your special embellishments! Can't wait to see more. Keep up Halloween crafting inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dolls are ready for a great Halloween parade! Mary and you did a wonderful job dressing those dolls! My grandmother use to have a big basket with that type of doll in it, they bring back some good memories! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

    mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. well aren't you miss fancy!! LOVE them girl!! so glad to see your mojo back send some my way pleez!! xoxo love ya bunches aunt frannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them! I am working on a Halloween doll re-do as well! Hopefully I will get her finished this weekend!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!