"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, June 13, 2014

Decking the Mantel with Red, White, and Blue

I think this is the first time I've
ever decorated specifically for
the 4th of July. 
And it was FUUUUUUNNNNN!
 And who's taking center stage?
Barbie, of all things!
Never in a million years did I
ever think I'd decorate with Barbie dolls!
 Just last week I found these at a
community flea, marked $3.00 each.
I added the flags to make them
look like they're celebrating.
 She's technically a pilgrim, but
the red and white clothing
lets her fit right in.
 I filled this huge glass jar with
vintage Christmas lights. 
I found the cutest little patriotic girl
images on old cards that I made
into paper dolls.  I printed them out
on a full sheet of paper and matted
them onto thick card stock.  Then I glued
some sparklies to the top of her hat.  To
keep her from falling over, I hot glued
an old block to the back.
Same was done for this doll.
Do you see how I also got to
use my firecrackers?!
Looks like the flags are going to
catch fire, doesn't it?  Faux candles fix
that problem! 
It was such fun decorating that
I ordered a white table-top Christmas
tree to decorate in red, white, and blue.
  The kids are so excited for it to
come in.   Half the fun will be hunting around
the house and in all our Christmas boxes to find
just the right ornaments to turn the Christmas tree
into a 4th of July tree!   
Until next time!


5 comments:

  1. Yippee! Another friend who will be decorating a tree for a non-Christmas holiday! Your mantle looks fabulous. Those vintage girls are adorable. Very clever with your Christmas bulbs too. Your Barbies are certainly in the proper spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY YAY my girl's mojo is comin back!! Jill your mantel ROCKS!! The Barbie's are perfect and those lil paper girls are too sweet!! LOVE THEM!! Can not wait to see the tree!! Every little touch is awesome!! YAY YAY XOXO Love ya Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I have never decorated for the 4th of July either, except for a door wreath. It is gorgeous and I have got to get some of those flameless candles!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a awesome display.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.
    The merfolk are from retro cafe art. they come as a blank with the brads to put them together. then I just decorated them up. really fun project, you should join in.
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantle looks great. I just found some American flags at thrift store yesterday and want to do a display. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I am now following you.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!