"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On the Hunt Again

It's been a LONG time since I've done
any major thrift shopping.  I think this
weekend reawakened my inner huntress. 
I rarely buy things that "I could remake
someday" because these projects just
tend to sit for months or years.  But, this little
house is dying for a make-over.
And I'm just the girl to do it!
 She's 40 years old and still cute
as a button. 
 $2.50 in excellent condition.  These sell
for $10 at Michaels and I know just
what I'm going to do with it.
 Hold 4 bags of what appear to be Barbie
clothes.  Now, Mary couldn't decide whether she
wanted to buy these.  Then I figured, why not
use the Visa gift card you got for your birthday?
Then you can pick out the ones you want
and we can sell the rest.  Maybe you can
even make money.  She liked that idea!
 For $1.00 I couldn't go wrong with this
big tote.  I've become a tote-aholic, using
them constantly.  It's always good
to have an extra one in the car because
you never know what the kids
are going to bring home!
 My glitter collection is growing.
 How does one decipher between old glitter
or German glass?   Isn't there also something
called mica flakes?  
 Bottle brush trees always come in handy
for the crafter.
 The BEST score of them all?   Four
American Girl dolls!  Mary saw them,
guessed what they were, and grabbed them all.
These are the smaller ones, (I think 6 inches tall)
that sell for like $30 at Barnes N Noble. 
The young cashier saw them, asked if they
were American Girl Dolls (I was afraid she
was going to try to tell me they were mispriced)
and said, "Wow!  You got a great deal!"
Get ready for it - 95 cents each!
My little entrepreneur is learning well!
 Now it's time to open those bags of
doll clothes.  I couldn't tell if there were
any Barbie clothes in them, but some
seemed pretty old so we gave it a shot.
Sure enough, we not only found
Barbie, but Ken too! 
 Most don't have their tags, but going
by their style and wear, finding
vintage pieces isn't too difficult.
 

 This bag had a lot of gowns.
 I thought this was particularly pretty.
 And then you have pieces that
are obviously vintage.
 Think these are Ken's?
 oooooooooo!
I think I saw the veil in here somewhere.
 Funky.
 Barbie in one-piece pants suits?
 More retro.
And how convenient!  A storage
box to put them all!
I can honestly say, that just felt GOOD.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You scored BIG today! Ya, that feels REALLY good! Can't wait to see how your rework that cute house!
    love, rosie
    ps Vintage GLITTEREX brand glitter is my fave! I used that as a kid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Love all those barbie clothes. Ken's beach attire is especially fabulous! Can't wait to see what becomes of your little house too. It's got wonderful potential. Looks like a great day in thrifty land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jackpot on the barbie clothes!! lucky Mary!!
    Im looking forward to doing some garage sale-ing soon.. since its that time of year, they should be popping up all over the place soon.
    have a great day!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good hunting ! The little box house will look wonderful when you're done with it.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!