"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Monday, February 3, 2014

A Box Full of Angels

This past weekend with the weather
finally nicer, my family trekked
over to an antique mall
in Burlington, NJ.   While there
I spotted this box of angels for just $10.
 At first glance, they looked vintage but then I wasn't
too sure.  The man who owned the spot told me
he honestly didn't know how old these were
but had gotten them off an old Christmas tree
at an estate sale.
 Looking them over, I figured they definitely weren't
just from a dollar store.  The give-aways?  First,
they're made out of a hard plastic.  Now-a-days, everything's
made out of resin. 
Second, the gold paint is so worn out with time. 
Third, the gold paint!   Wasn't this
more popular in the 1970's? 
And fourth, the way the faces are painted seem similar to the
way older figurines were painted. 
Actually, they remind me of the old
Fontanini Nativities that most of our
grandparents displayed. 
 So what made me buy these old angels?  I thought
they'd be really fun to repaint as Valentine
Cupids!  I know I won't have time for this year,
but there's always next year! 
School's closed today because of another
snow storm.  That's ok with me.  After fever
and chills yesterday, a day of rest and lots
of Day Quil is just what I need.
 

4 comments:

  1. You are going to make those angels look beautiful once again... I think you should at least work on a couple of them for this Valentines Day...even if for yourself Hugs from Sunny California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your angels were just waiting for the right home. You will have so much fun giving them transformations. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jill, I don't think I can wait a whole year.Don't forget Christmas angels.I'm longing to see Your remakes.I too got sick last week,even had the touch of flu and I had the flu shot in Oct. then caught a cold.WAY too much babysitting My snotty nosed beauties. I've been thinking of commissioning You-asking You- to repaint My OLD family of 3 carolers.I think it's so old it must have belonged to one of My Greatgrandparents.Have to find it in an old storage box,and show it too You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just spent some time catching up with your blog! I love your angels! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!