"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, May 28, 2013

On a Cold, Wet, Rainy Day.....

While taking a break from cleaning, I decided to go through some of my storage boxes to see what the heck I've got in them!   That's when I discovered some old prayer cards.
 
I found some old post cards too.  One dates back to the 1930s.  Unfortunately, most don't have dates on them. 

Some prayer cards are for those who passed, other are prayers for special requests.

These two are from Poland.

This is also a postcard, printed in Switzerland. 

Many of these cards honor Mary, the Blessed Mother.

It's the Catholic belief that the Blessed Virgin Mary grants seven graces to the souls who honor her daily by meditating on her tears and dolors (sorrows).  Hey - think that's why my Mom had seven kids?!   See that?  Better watch what you pray for! 

There are also saints, angels, and the Holy Family often displayed on prayer cards.

It just occurred to me that these are like smaller versions of ATCs!  (Artist Trading Cards).  They're tiny little works of art, detailed and beautiful.


I've got an old statue of St. Patrick that I've been considering repainting.  I already touched up his chipped chalkware and painted him white.  He looks good just a basic white, but these old prints are very influential in wanting me to paint him.


On Memorial Day weekend, we couldn't help but think of all the brave men and women who gave their lives for our country.  Then I see this picture of Jesus and am reminded how He gave His life for everybody. 


Anyone wanting to use these images is more than welcome!


3 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous images. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful, and you are right, they are tiny works of art. I have some saved somewhere, have to search for them now......

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!