"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, May 30, 2013

Homemade Italian Wedding Soup - Quick & Easy!

Knowing how good this tastes, it makes me sad that Ted finished up the last of it last night!   Easy to make and because I used turkey instead of beef for the meatballs, it's also a very healthy meal. 
 
Ingredients for soup:  1 onion (chopped), 1/2 bag petite carrots (chopped), 2 celery stalks (chopped), 1 clove garlic (minced), 1 TBS Olive Oil, 8 cups chicken stock, 1 bag (6 oz.) baby spinach (chopped), 3/4 cup small pasta (I use Orzo) pepper to taste (I do not use salt to taste.  The chicken stock has plenty of sodium and I don't find it necessary to add salt).
 
Ingredients for the meatballs:  1 lb ground turkey, 1 tsp. grated onion, 1 clove garlic (minced), 1 TBS. Parsley, 2 TBS. bread crumbs, pepper to taste, 1 egg, 1 TBS milk, 3 TBS. grated Parmiggiano Reggiano (do yourself a favor and use FRESH cheese.  The difference in taste is amazing). 
 
 

1)  In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the meatballs. Roll up 1 inch balls and set aside.


2)  In a large pot, cook the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.   Season with pepper.


3)  Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
4)  Add the meatballs and cook for 10 minutes.


5)  Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.  Orzo takes 9 minutes.


6)  About 2 minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the spinach and cook another minute.  (My spinach is very finely chopped with a food processor.  If yours is chopped bigger, you may want it to cook a little longer).


7)  Season with pepper to taste.  I also grated some more Parmiggiano Reggiano on top for just a little bit more zing. 


Serve this with thick Italian or French bread and enjoy!!   Tastes just as good the next day.

4 comments:

  1. Not a good day to forget my lunch. Your soup looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask the older generation that's left in My Italian family why I never heard of this. My Grammy would have given Me the answer.So YUMMY,and so good hearing from you.Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Jill that looks like a chef made it!! It is so pretty and sound so very good!! Isn't that the way it goes just when you think you might want the last of something it is gone!! EWW that makes me mad sometimes!LOL Have you ever made Tortilla Soup? it is so gosh darn good. I can give you the recipe if you ever want it. Hope all is well I think of you alot! XOXO Love Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that Italian Wedding is my favorite soup ever?! I've never made it myself though, I may have to try! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!