"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, May 23, 2013

Here's a Few Twists

Here's a twist for journaling.  Instead of buying a new one, why not use an antique photo album?  They're thick, textured, and unique.
 
My old album dates back to the 1800s.   It's got a soft velvet cover and thick cardboard pages, but it's also getting very delicate.   I hated seeing it just sit there collecting dust.  That's when I had the idea to use it as an art journal.


A couple years ago I made some wall hangings that were similar.  I like the idea of having these safely tucked away in this old book.


Of course, it's a work-in-progess.  I only add a new page every couple of months.  I have to be careful and start using paper instead of fabric.  It's getting too thick already.

I created this page yesterday when I came across a saying in a 1922 hymnal, "Let me not think the price too high."  It reminded me of a soldier going off to war.


Whoops!  I hate it when pages don't rotate.  Anyhoo, you can see the last few pages of this photo album will be really interesting to try and revamp with four cut-out frames already in place.

 Here's another revamp.  I found this wooden box and it screamed to me to repaint.  You can't tell from this picture, but the yellow used is ass-ugly.  It's loud and practically screams neon.  

To my own surprise, I wound up repainting it yellow, just a much more subtle pale yellow.  The scrolling, knobs, and inside got a fresh coat of white as well.  

And for something completely different, a hand-carved Santa Claus ornament with swirls and swirls of beard.  Learning to carve the swirls was totally new to me.  It's been a long time since I picked up a knife and wanted to try something new.  I still need to paint him and add a hanger to the top.  I definitely want to make more of these just because it was fun!  

Break out the paint, it may be time to repaint St. Patrick.   

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day!
 
 



4 comments:

  1. Well I see you still do find time to get creative, thats a good thing I do miss visiting you but I am sure life with children at home gets very busy but please stop in once and awhile ox, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old photo albums, your right, they were made so well and sturdy

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you....love your new projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh here is my sweet baby girl!! I Think of you so often but I do write NO!! Shame on me!! I have been doing a lot of sewing for some new gigs and orders!! I LOVE it!! and I LOVE seeing you getting your mojo goin!! Keep it up!! I LOVE that last pic you did for Memorial Day!! ANd that journal rocks!! LOVE ya to the moon n back!! XOXOXOXO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!