"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Remembering Toys of the Past

If you were a child of the 60s or 70s, there's a good chance you played with Fisher-Price Little People.
 
These were one of my favorite toys growing up.

 Remember this Parking Garage?  The car and pedestrian take an elevator up (that rings a bell with each turn) and once it got to the top, the car would spill out and down the track.
 

And remember the plane set?  A helicopter goes on top (I can't find it, but know it's here somewhere) and when you crank that red lever on top, the propellers would spin.

These were such simple toys, but durable enough to last a lifetime.

I didn't have this set, but it's dated 1986 - I would have been 17 and much too mature for toys.  : )

Fisher-Price, Kenner, Hasbro - probably the best toy companies out there. 

I've been collecting these for years.  Anytime I'd see them at a yard sale or thrift shop, I'd scoop them right up.

When the kids were really small, I had bought them the modern little people.  Much fatter, softer, and safer, (albeit nowhere near as cool as the vintage ones we had!) 

And you know what?  They weren't interested.  It wasn't until I started buying the tried and true wooden ones that their eyes lit up....just like when we were kids.

OK.  So the toys now are much more sophisticated.  But really, you just can't compare "Squinkies" or even "Angry Birds" to these old toys.

I think the farm and schoolhouse were most popular.  Remember, you open the barn doors and you hear a cow moo?  The animals were my favorites.

I thought the sheep were pretty cool.  I also remember having a monkey.

Being a city girl, the closest I ever came to visiting a barn was the 4-H Show at the community college once a year.

I was sooo jealous of those kids who got to raise animals.  But, I digress.

Now-a-days, kids can get the most realitic firetrucks with sirens blaring and lights flashing.  But these little cuties really let you use your imagination.

They made so many different themes, didn't they?

Remember, come August, no deliveries on Saturday!


Sadly, my kids have told me they've outgrown these toys.  I've known it, but have been keeping them around in case they changed their minds.  I love the thought of storing them away for my grandkids someday - think about it, these toys would be about 50-60 years old by then!  But, our little house lends no room for storage.
So, with great sadness, I posted them on Ebay for later tonight with the promise that if they sell, I'll give the money to the kids.  They were happy about that.  See, Nic wants a vintage Star Wars At-At, and Mary wants an R2-D2.   That's my vintage babies!

5 comments:

  1. Love those! I found the A frame for my daughter a while back and she loves it. My mom saved all of our sets (many of the ones you have pictured) and she plays with them at their house. Btw, the monkey figure came with the circus train set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are the same age. My parents held onto every single fisher price little people set and when Josie goes to visit, it's the first thing she goes for. The fisher price castle still has all the pieces including the pink dragon. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma gave me her Vintage toys when she sold her house a few years ago. I have the barn (but no silo), the hospital, the house and tons of the people and accessories. I love them and you have a great collection!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a walk down memory lane!!! I still have the barn and silo, also the camper and lotsa little people, my kids loved them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, it's so hard selling these! I figure whatever doesn't sell, I'll pack up and find a place to store them. Old Star Wars At-Ats are so expensive and Nic really wants one. I figure to use the money from these to buy him one. Basically, trading Little People for Star Wars. Still the 70s toys!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!