"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, March 1, 2013

Antique Artist Charcoal Supplies!

They say men are visual creatures while women are more auditory.  I don't know who "they" are,
but I have to question this theory.   
I'd consider myself visual over auditory anytime.....with maybe the exception to  Dean Martin singing, "Baby It's Cold Outside." 
 For those who have never worked with with charcoal, these are blenders.  You rub them into the charcoal drawing to help blend and shade.  

And look at these bricks.   I don't have a lot of experience working in charcoal and haven't used it in almost 25 years, but I'm guessing these are used for extra large pieces or lots of shading.  

Look at the old mechanical pencils!  Well, I've never seen them before, but I gather you slip in a slender piece of charcoal and use it like a pencil.   

I couldn't believe my luck when I found all these old pieces, but my jaw dropped
when I found a bag full of these boxes!  

And each box is completely filled with charcoal supplies. 
 Oo-La-La!  Charcoal pencils from Paris!   

 I'm trying to research all these companies to see how old these are.  Some date back to the
turn-of-the-century.
Aren't these little red pieces adorable?   
These are called, "Lithographic Crayons."  Advertising was cool back then! 
After taking these pictures, my hands looked like they were tar and feathered.  I had been working with a very oily ink beforehand so all the charcoal stuck to it.   
Working with charcoal is not for the faint of heart!
I'm not sure what these were used for.  I'm guessing the foil protected the fingers from getting dirty while they used these little pieces for fine drawing or shading.  
The problem with finding such cool treasures is wanting to keep them rather than putting them in my Etsy Shop! 

Can you blame me?! 

9 comments:

  1. You found some really neat treasures....love those boxes!!! and since when are men 'visual'.....give me a break!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I havent used charcoals since I took an art class in college. neat stuff! have a great weekend Jill!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boxes are just as precious as the supplies. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a treasure trove! Don't you dare put them up on Etsy, because I'll have to buy them! lol These are wonderful! :-)

    ~ Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double WOW! You should keep them :) My neighbor when I was a child use to do charcoal drawings of horses and barns....He did beautiful work...his name was Billy Ott, he was much older than me and I do believe he had alot of old charcoal....I'm sure it's very hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat post! My mother was an artist and used charcoal like this. She used the very fat charcoal not in her art but for grave rubbings. I wonder if these belonged to someone famous? Have a lovely Sunday! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decided to keep these. Mary likes art and may want to use them someday. Plus, they'd look great on display in my art room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jill so glad you decided to keep em!! And MAry is being taught from you about art and not many children get that pleasure or gift!! I am so glad I taught Kaitlin soem of it just by being me. She is very talented and she can draw and paint like my MOM did. Now I am very thankful for that. The sun is shining today and it is making me smile!! I need that sunshine so bad. I ahve been working in my craft/studio/office computer room organizing and cleaning!! And it feels os good. Jill go to my last post from the 1st and follow thelink to the giveaway from new Etsy team I am on. And maybe you will win something!! Love ya Aunt Frannie XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm visual for sure I love art and draw all of the time. I'm still overwhelmed by your whale carving. Take care buddy

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!