"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Ran Away

A storm's been brewing inside me and I had to get away. 
No, not to Germany, but it's as close I can get for now.
 
Ted had to go away for a few days to help his sister move.   Thursday night, I stopped by my parents' house and told them I was taking the kids out of school the next day and running away.  I had heard of a place called Adamtowns, PA and that was my destination.

Why Adamstown?  It's filled with antique galleries and shops.  I thought I could clear my head and maybe buy things for my Etsy shop too.   Because of the long drive, I wasn't willing to take the chance of not being home in time to catch the kids' school bus, so mommy's mental health day meant a day off for them.

I invited my mom along, but didn't get the ok until the next morning.  Much to my surprise, Dad came along too.  He hates antiquing, but didn't want me driving myself with the kids to someplace I'd never been before.  (Our cars are not known to be the most reliable!)   So with Dad driving, Mom in the backseat with the kids, we headed out.  While antiquing, we came across this Bavarian shopping center.  Most of the shops were closed, but it was so darn cute, we had to get out and take a look.

If you know me, you know I LOVE Noah's Arks and this was the mother of all arks!    It was up for auction.  I didn't even bother looking at the price, but took lots of pictures anyway.

I did, however buy a cute Norcrest chick.

I also picked up two cute little pixies dressed in bunny outfits hugging a unicorn.

I'm not sure who the maker is.  I'm guessing Lefton, Holt Howard, or Napco.   

And I couldn't resist this cute Valentine planter!    

And at our very last stop I found this shabby chic shrine of Mary.  There's a place for a candle and is beautiful as a statue, but can also be used as a home altar and place to pray.

By 3:30 pm, we knew we had to leave or else face the wrath of the unforgiving Pennslvania Turnpike.   While mom wanted to nap, the kids had their own ideas in mind.

While the kids entertained Mom in the back....(or was it Mom entertaining the kids?)  Dad was cracking me up in the front seat with his own stories and views on life.

Going away to someplace I'd never been before.  Forgetting about life for a day.  No worrying.  No fretting.  Just enjoying the company of my kids and parents.   Now that's my idea of "running away!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a great time ya all had!!! And what a blessing to still be able to enjoy your parents!!! Three generations in one car.....its good to clear your head!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! What a fun day off, what a cute town! I love all the vintage you found. I was looking for a way to get to your shop, but I don'f see a button. Your little shoe cars are so cute. E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone needs a day to play hooky. Great pictures. Great family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great place to get away to! It's only about an hour away from here; I should go more often. Never thought about taking the kids with me on a day off, but I totally get why you would want to do that.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!