"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, January 11, 2013

Oh, The First Snowfall of the Winter

Have you ever noticed that some of the best times are the spontaneous ones?
Two days after Christmas, Bucks County was sent a gorgeous snowfall. Ted thought we should get out of the house and take a drive.
We wound up at an old cathedral that I'd never seen before. Ted had the foresight to bring a camera.
It was all so breath-taking.
Mary and Nicolai had snowball fights and made snowangels. What a shame we didn't come better prepared - little did I know Nic snuck out of the house without wearing any socks!
To our suprise, the old cathedral was open so we got to get a glimpse of its medieval design from within. We met the Director/Priest who gave us a small tour (a wedding was planned later so we didn't get to see the entire inside). But, if we wanted to see more, they were offering a free tour of its sister-site, the Pitcairn Museum, just down the path.
And to add to the serendipity of the day, they were hosting a "Nativities from Around the World" event. We got to see new and antique nativity scenes from places like Africa, Chile, Mexico and France.
The kids were given scavenger hunt with hints about the Nativities and then had to find which country it was referring to. When we finished the kids each got a little prize, while Ted enjoyed a good hot cup of coffee! One of my favorite Nativities was from Africa. The animals were made from beads and they used a zebra and giraffe as part of the stable.
What I thought was going to be a day we were stuck inside turned out to be the most pleasant of days. After a few hours in the snow, the kids were thrilled to get some hot chocolate and lunch.
No planning, no expectations, no schedules to keep. Just a normal day that turned into an extraordinary memory.

13 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you!!! And what an exciting day you had!!! You got to see and enjoy a piece of history and learned new things too......Happy New Year!!! ...Cleo

    ReplyDelete
  2. JILL!!!!!!!!!! I had to come running when I saw your little button on Vivian's blog. I can't tell you how many times I would think to myself how much I missed you through your posts.
    It looks like your New Year is off to a wonderful start. It's just so lovely to see a post from you! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill!So lovely hearing from you.What an amazing day you had,esp.without planning for it.Perfect, even down to the nativities that I know you love

    ReplyDelete
  4. The children look great- happy and growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember ever being in a cathedral. I think it would be a lovely thing to do. YOu have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill,

    Nice to see you posting! What a nice day it turned out to be! that church is gorgeous!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill,
    So happy to see you posting. I was gone 11 months...NaNa Diana told/SUGGESTED I/me to install "google chrome"...it is easy for most people but then, there is me...I am truly computer STUPID!!! I TRULY ACCEPT THE FACT BUT I AM BRIGHT IN OTHER THINGS...LOL...
    BUT NANCY y TOLD ME ABOUT HTML/COMPOSE...IT WORKS....I HIT HTML THEN PICTURE LINK...PICK MY PICTURES....UPLOAD AND HIT DONE WHEN IT SAYS...THE HTML CODE IS ON THE PAGE AND I then hit compose....genius.....I hate to say anything....google will catch on and ruin it for us....that is all I KNOW.
    YOUR PICTURES ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
    LETS KEEP IN TOUCH
    NANADIANA IS PRETTY SMART AT THIS COMPUTER STUFF
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT A PERFECT DAY!!! GOD sure planned it out for you!! Nativities are your favorites! And to be able to learn more about them!! I bet your creative mind is going crazy!! LOL Oh how I've missed you and I was just thnking of you the other day!!! What an awesome surprise I got this morning when I went to my blog!! I came right over here!! Yay!! Hope to see more of you neice!! XOXOXOXOXOOXOXO Love Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are gorgeous! I'm jealous too, we were only at home for the snow and it started melting before it really had a chance to accumulate. Glad you got to enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love unexpected days like this. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Dear! I've come to your blog from the blog of one of my sweet commenters ~ you know how that goes ~ :) ~ Don't you love when things like this happen? I would have loved seeing those Nativities! Now following you!
    So nice to "meet" you!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. What breathtaking stained glass windows! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes!!! I love days like that, what fun, we should all play a little more often...Sure would make life more fun! And of course hot chocolate doesn't hurt!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!