"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Making a Fairy Tree House

With Ted's help this past weekend, I was able to make this Fairy Tree House for the kids.

 Mary's been obsessed with fairies lately so I wanted to make her something special.

Ted did the hard parts - screwing real branches into the bases while keeping them in alignment.  I tried doing it myself, but he felt bad for me and took over.  It was much harder than I figured. 

Once the levels were in place, I got to do the fun part and decorate!  Mary painted these little circular disks to look like mushrooms.  We mounted them on tree branches for stools around the "campfire".

Lots of little miniatures and moss to give it the woodland feel.

We even have a look-out tower!

Most of the tree house was made from materials I already had at home.  There's a dream catcher and little swing over the bed.  Under the bed is a rug, just cut from an old quilt.

Table and chairs made from branches that I cut with the bandsaw and glued together.

Mary wanted a rope bridge, which was a fun idea.

On another level is this bedroom set.  We used brightly colored Popsicle sticks as a fence and made the bed from branches.  The leaves act as a rug and using the same quilt, cut out a little blanket and pillow.  We also added more ladders to get to each level.

To give you an idea of the size, this is Mary's little hand working the pulley.  We put a dowel through the spool and hung it on two hooks to spin.  Now, they can fill the basket with goodies and raise and lower it to different levels.

Another angle.

There weren't any plans to make this tree house.  I just googled lots of images to get an idea of what I could do.  We'd just build on it as we'd go.  There was some back-tracking and having to rethink things, but that was part of the fun.

A tiny cup to hold teeny-tiny sea shells, which I hear, fairies like.  And another stool to sit on.

The view of the back.

 I used a broken, antique miniature baby cradle to make this porch swing.

You'd be amazed at the things you can make with items you already have around the house.








And the best part of all?  Seeing the kids finally get to play with it! 

 Their smiles make it all worth it.  And I hope it gave them good memories of Daddy and Mommy working together to make them something special.

The hard part now?  Keeping the cat away!  The swinging ladders are just too tempting for curious kitties.


11 comments:

  1. The best home made fairy tree house I've seen.You and Ted are wonderful parents.Your children are so blessed.I love visiting you Jill.Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so adorable!!! And look how happy the kids are playing with that!!! Great memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MUST make!! How adorable is your fairy tree house! I'm totally addicted to toadstools after making them out of wooden bowls this summer.

    http://kenward.blogspot.com/2012/07/if-you-give-gnome-toadstool.html

    Your miniature version is absolutely darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Love how happy they look playing with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is this and so original! Great idea Mary! I bet she will be looking for tiny 'adds' on your flea market trips. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well well well aren't you somethin!! Jill I can't say it enough you are a rock star!! Did you get your package yet? I have a new email I'll email you my new one. Boy there is alot to change it! LOL I'm wearing myself out!! LOL Let me know if ya got it yet!! Thanks!! XOXO Love ya, Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! I would love sit and play with that tree house!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my!! You are sooo ridiculously creative and talented!! This is the best thing ever!! I'm in LOVE!! <3 You should do tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all! Megan, I WAS going to do a tutorial for this...until I found out I needed Ted's help to do most of it. My tutorial would have been like this:
    1. Gather materials
    2. Have Ted put it together
    3. Decorate

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is incredible! I think the camp fire with tea light is my fav! kind of reminds me of Swiss Family Robinson. OOps showing my age. LOL
    Lucky girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I MISS YOU JILL!!! LOVE, AUNT FRANNIE

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!