"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Monday, August 13, 2012

Halloween Memories

Goblins and witches,
And Brownies
And such.
Folks can't see.
And folks can't touch!

Have you seen the ghost of John?
Long white bones with the skin all gone?
ooooooooo-ooooooo-oooooohhhh!!
Wouldn't it be chilly with no skin on?!

Sitting on a tombstone
A ghost came up and said,
"Sorry to disturb you,
But you're sitting on my head!"

Just some old Halloween poems I remember back in grade school.   You never know what memories, buried deep down inside you, will come to life when you're creating.    Things you haven't thought about in 20-30 years, suddenly pop into your head. 

Maybe it was the simple act of making old-fashioned blocks that freed my mind enough to let it wander back to 1983.  My 8th grade class carried on a Halloween tradition of putting on a haunted house for the lower grades.  We dressed in costumes, learned "Pumpkin Carols" and did the "Monster-Mash."  

Do any of you remember "cloak rooms"?  These were long rooms connected to our class, where we'd hang our coats and lunchbags.  We used this room as the final stretch to our haunted house.   Older boys hid inside to scare the unsuspecting smaller kids who dared enter.  And it fun....until......another boy punched John Brown in the nose.  I don't know if the haunted house tradition continued after our class, but at least I've got my memories!



11 comments:

  1. Jill, Your blocks turned out wonderfully! I giggled at the tombstone inscription. Can you imagine? I hope the person had a sense of humor. A lovely weather week here, I hope it is as well for you. Take care, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these blocks!!! The graphics are so charming....yes, I remember cloak rooms, how crowded they were!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with wood blocks! Another idea to put on my list!
    Thanks for sharing it!
    Cute sayings.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wood blocks. Fabulous graphics. I'm very eager to start Halloween crafting. Keep the Halloween memories coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you created!
    this was such a cute post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jill for the memories of times past -so much fun-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful blocks! :-)
    I remember that poem! We used to sing it as a song in I think 6th grade. Always fun to reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate, the first one said, oh my it's getting late! The second one said there are witches in the air, the third one said, well we don't care, the fourth one said, let's run and run and run, the fifth one said, we're ready for some fun. Ooooooo went the wind and out went the lights, and the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight-2nd grade, 1967.

    We had cloak rooms in the one old school!
    Love your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes,So sorry that you got that message from that hacker.After they sent that terrible message they deleted our whole contact list :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. JILL YOU ARE SO AWESOME!! That advent calendar was well worth thime you put into it!! You are a very talented artist and I so blessed to hae some of your blocks!! Your surprise will be arriving soon! I promise! I got my car back from the car hospital!! Oh I am so ready for Fall! Had a busy weekend of projects and b-day party and baby shower!! Keep on keepin on!! Love ya, XOXO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post! I found myself singing a song called Don Gato from elementary school the other day! The cloak room got me in trouble the very first day of 1st grade. I was told put my sweater in one and I had no idea what it was so I just hung it on my desk. I ended up in the corner for not obeying the teacher! I had never heard of a cloak!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!