"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, July 19, 2012

Newest Restoration Project

*WHEW*!!  For the past few weeks I've been concentrating on finishing those "someday I'll get to it" projects.

This wooden curio has been wanting a face-lift for months. No easy task.  This sucker's 19 x 15 x 5 inches! 

So many ideas made it hard to decide how to restore this piece. Should I paint it black for a gothic Halloween decoration?  Then again, I could brighten it up with a crisp bright white.  Hmmm...

I finally chose a primitive-shabby look, first painting it a creamy white and then applying a second layer of Robin's Egg Blue.  

Aging with Burnt Umber and sanding the edges gives it an old-time feel.  Even the original brown paint shows through in some areas.  Painting the grating on the windows white offset all the blue.

Although the colors of Autumn are still my favorite, painting in fresh pastels breathes new life into an old piece.

My next project - actually two - restoring a vintage wooden doll closet and finishing my advent calendar. 


Try to stay cool!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent shabby chic job! I'd love to see where you put it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great! Love the blue color! Where are you going to put it!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to post it in my Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your choice of color for this piece! It turned out great! I'm sorry that you didn't have good luck at the flea market! You just never know!
    Hope you're having a great weekend,
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill,
    What a gorgeous piece!
    Thank you for your words of encouragement.
    Means so much to me.
    enJOY a beautiful Sunday,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will sale fast.So pretty.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!