"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, July 26, 2012

Curing the "I'm Bored" Blues

As much as I want to help keep my kids busy during the summer (for my sanity as well as theirs!) I prefer to encourage them to use their own imaginations and come up with creative solutions to cure the summer doldrums.  Baking Chocolate Banana Bread was one of their ideas.

I found a "Busy Book" at our local thrift, packed with projects for kids to do on those boring or rainy days.  Mary dived head-first into it.  She's the one who found the recipe and after recruiting Nic, decided to do some baking.   

Mary was in charge. I was just there to guide them (and take pictures!)

If they only realized how much math and calculating was involved!  It's fascinating to watch their lit-tle brains read directions, grasp concepts, and apply them.  And YOU thought they were just baking bread!

The kitchen's a nightmare.  Nic's exhausted.  But the bread looks like a success! 
But...looks can be deceiving.  How's it taste Mary?  That smile says it all!
Moist and tasty.  We added mini chocolate chips for extra decadence.    

Seeing and tasting the finished results makes a mommy's heart go pitter-patter.  Sure, I could have a list of "to-dos" for the summer, but after a year of schedules and structure, this is the time for them to unwind and decompress.  What better way to do this than by baking Chocolate Banana Bread?!



4 comments:

  1. Yummy, yummy! Mary did a great job! This sure brings back memories of when I got the Betty Crocker cookbook for kids one year for Christmas. One of my best meals to make was meatloaf with mashed potatoes on top! Everyone loved it!
    Here's a fast recipe-white or yellow cake mix (one box), 2 eggs, 5 tablespoons of butter, 2 cups (or less of chocolate chips) I added a little water as it was a little stiff to spread. I lightly greased a brownie pan. You cake in a moderate over for about 20-30 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean. Just like brownies and super fast (thanks to Pinterest).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we need to pick up some bananas this weekend. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I remember those days! Looking forward to doing it all again with my grand babies in a few years!
    YOur kids are adorable Jill. how old are they?
    I cant even begin to believe how old mine are now! LOL!!
    have a great day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! And the kids are so cute with their aprons & hats!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!