"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, July 6, 2012

Beating the Heat Thru Art

What do you do when you're trapped at home, in the middle of a heatwave, with sick kids?  Chew on a Xanax?  Nice thought, but today I think I'll break out the paint!

 An Advent calendar has been sitting in my drawer for the past two years waiting to be decorated.  Why the long wait?  I kept forgetting I had it!

Burnt Umber - my choice for antiquing. 

Combined with a bit of Walnut Ink for more depth.   

The manufacturers used a high gloss finish, making the paint and ink difficult to adhere; because of this, I thought it best I just paint the tops.  All of these little boxes fit into a larger box with 24 cubbies. 

What will the finished calendar look like? 

I haven't gotten that far!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, Have the heat wave as well I see. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. We haven't left our home in days!
    I LOVED your wooden blocks, OMG what a lot of work! Can't wait to see how this project turns out.
    Talk about drowning in cuteness, your little sidekick needs to throw me a preserver!
    Stay cool! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, it's hot in Iowa too! My daughter is getting married in one week, I hope it cools off by then. I've been so busy with the wedding that nothing else has been done, I can't wait to get back to my art!
    Your calendar is wonderful, can't wait to see how it turns out.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hottest January to June on record in Virginia!!! Yearning for fall and I am a summer kind of girl. You are so funny! I have no doubt that these Advent cubbies are going to turn out fantastic!! I can't paint to save my life..

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more goody for us to watch you do your artistic magic on :)Hope your children are well by now.Hugs Denise

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!