"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Turn-of-the-Century Images to Get Your Creative Juices Flowing

Listed in this post are 15 late-1800s to early-1900s images for you to use however you'd like.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Aunt Candy's great-grandfather owed a mercantile during the 1890s-1900s in a small Ohio town. 

Many of these images come from old advertisements that were included inside boxes of tea and coffee he'd order for the store.  I think Candy said they were referred to as "trading cards." 

Do you remember back in the 70s, "Wonder Bread" would tuck little cards inside their loaves too?  The excitement of seeing what was on the cards rivaled the suspense of discovering the hidden treasure inside a box of cereal and Cracker Jacks.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a scanner and had to just use a camera to get these images.  They seemed to have come out pretty clear though.

Besides advertising cards, Candy also let me take pictures of antique postcards too.

Too bad companies got rid of all the cute little freebies for the kids.  Now on a cereal box, it just tells you to go to their website for games.  Blah!

Have you gotten a box of Cracker Jacks lately?  We got a ton of them last summer for our carnival party.  Almost every box contained a tattoo.  Big shlameel.

 Well, as I type this, the kids are outside trying to start a water balloon fight.  Looks like I better go referee!

Hope you can find some creative ways to use these images.  Enjoy!








5 comments:

  1. I can not tell you how excited I was to see your smiling face on my blog this evening! I have always loved visiting your corner of the world. PS Boy did your repainted desk come out beautifully. I won't loose you again! I can't wait to see your holiday fare. Happy, happy! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are soooooo sweet, thanks for sharing!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little girl in the pickle is too funny! Thanks for sharing these images.
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! Lots of ideas are swirling in my head.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!