"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, June 22, 2012

Shane's Confectionary in Old Philadelphia

If you're ever visiting Philadelphia, there's one little shop you've got to visit, Shane's Confectionery.

Have you ever watched "Unique Sweets", on the Food Network Channel?  It features unique bakeries and pastry shops from all over the country. When Shane's Confectionery aired, we knew it would be an easy day trip.


Mary recently told us she wants to be a pastry chef, a scientist, and an artist when she grows up.   We told her a pastry chef is all those things combined into one! 

Mary now has a list of bakeries and pastry shops she'd like to visit.  Who knows?  Maybe this will inspire her to open her own shop one day.  She already has the name picked out.  Shhhh...I'm not allowed to tell anyone!

What's so unique about Shane's?  They use the same industrial machines that were used back in the early 1900s!

Unfortunately, the back room where all the candy-making takes place wasn't open to the public, but we were lucky to watch the whole process on "Unique Sweets."  Not only do they use all the old machinery, but the entire shop is decorated reminiscent of that time period.

Even the workers dress in old-time clothing.

It was very hot outside so we had to keep that in mind when buying chocolate. 

Huge apothecary jars filled with old-time candy lined the shelves. 

What to choose?  What to choose? 

Marshmallow, taffy, gumdrops, and suckers.......  

Nicolai never saw such huge jaw-breakers!

Tempting, isn't it? 

Not a surprise, Mary fixated on the chocolate-covered marshmallows. 

Here's a fun way to decorate for the Fourth of July.

Marshmallow and chocolate on a 94 degree day.  Not the best idea.

Right down the street was a cozy little pizza shop.  We had lunch and decided to just let the kids eat the candy right there since carrying it around wasn't an option. 

Dark-chocolate covered apricots and caramel mixed with sea-salt.  So decadent!

Brick-oven pizza, old-fashioned candy, and the affection of grateful children will melt any parent's heart even on the hottest of days.  

"Well," said Ted, "since we're here, why not walk around a bit?" 
So we did.
But that as they say, is another story.








5 comments:

  1. When I listen to you speak of your children and all that comes with it,I'm always filled with memories of My own time with My young family.Oh how I loved it,all of it, and I was good at it too :)Sounds like wonderful times and I love listening. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jill you know I am LOVIN this post!! Mary is such a rock star and they both are so precious!! I have missed yo so!! I've tried to comment a few times but sometimes I can't on my laptop if Kaitlin is on hers!! But she's up north so I am catchin up with ya!! That shoppe is so cool and I hope Mary follows through cuz things like that will soon fade away! OOPs didn't mean to be a Frannie Downer!! LOL Hugs to you Jill I miss your heart and soul. I love connecting with you. Hang in there and keep on keppin on!!! Are you hot? Oh my goodness we are!! XOXO Love ya bunches XOXO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeeek...now I WANT CANDY!!! I love candy shops. I have 2 not far from my home. They "know"me at one shop and pretty soon they will "know" me at the other one. No wonder I don't Lose any Weight! LOL.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go here! Thanks for the post Jill. We are going on a walking tour soon and it's in Old City (pretty sure). Will look it up and see. The walking tours are fun. Not really scary, but the ones are night take on an entirely new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and you have the cutest kids...they look like they grew up in a different decade-no weird clothing, cute haircuts and squeaky clean. : )

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!