"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Monday, May 14, 2012

A Work In Progress

What do you suppose this is going to be?

I'll give you a hint: He brought them two by two.

After thinking about making Noah's Ark for the past nine years, I decided to bite the bullet and jump right in.  And jump right in I did!
There are no plans.  No measuring.  No directions or patterns.  Just tons of inspiration and ideas pouring out of my fat little head.

When it comes to woodcarving, I lean heavily towards the rustic, primitive, folk-art style.  I don't want it to look mass-produced or perfect.  The imperfections are what give it that old-fashioned, hand-crafted feel I adore.

My goal is to make as much of this as possible with materials we already have at home.  It's what the poor and thrifty folk would have done 100 years ago.  So far, all I've spent money on is wood glue (a necessity for this project).   

Maybe that's what draws me to folk-art.  I imagine fathers hand-crafting wooden toys for their children out of spare lumber and mothers making quilts from old clothes.  They used what they had and made do.  

The upper room is a wooden cigar box that I cut doors into.  The top will be able to lift off to store all the animals and people.  It's still a work-in-progress as I try to decide how I want the top to look.  And then of course, are the many many animals to carve.

USE IT UP.
WEAR IT OUT.
MAKE IT DO,
OR DO WITHOUT!

5 comments:

  1. Another labor of love for you!! The finished product will be amazing I know!!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am very impressed you go girl... talent is all around you cannot wait to see it complete! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea Jill you're gettin your groove back!!!! Me too sorta LOL Still working in the gardens!! The house is a mess but it will wait for me!! Darn it!! Can't wait to see thisone finished!!! Thanks for stopping by!! XOXO Love ya, Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you will also enjoy it when it's done.Are you keeping it? You've got Me in the mood to get off the computer and getting into a craft project.That's a good thing-Thank you for your inspiration.Hugs and blessings to you Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm keeping this for my kids who have already labeled it "cool"!

      Delete

THANKS FOR VISITING!