"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Vintage Game Night

So, in trying to save money in this economy, it dawned on me that the kids were now old enough to learn how to play some vintage games I had stashed away. 

We started out with the game, "Booby Trap."  Do you remember this game?  I had completely forgotten about it until I saw it in a thrift store. 

After a few rounds, we took a break by making some home-made pizza, I had made the dough the night before so it was quick and easy.  Think we went a little heavy on the cheese?

Thanks to my friend Ruth, I learned how to make a chocolate cake from scratch the night before.  Having home-made pizza and cake totally complemented the vintage theme.

Next, it was time to teach the kids "Parchessi".  This was one of my favorites growing up; but, I forgot how to play and needed to reread the directions.  We tweaked the rules a bit so it wouldn't be as long. 

Nic grew bored so it was Mary against Mommy.  I have her blocked here!!  In the long run it didn't matter.  She beat me.  The little shit.

 After a couple hours, Mommy was pooped.  Time for a movie with a big bowl of popcorn.

Three Fridays in a row, we've continued the tradition, changing it up each time.  Last week, we went to a park for 2 hours and came home and played a couple games of Uno.   The week before, Ted had a bonfire going outside.  Simple, fun, and inexpensive.  Necessity is the mother of invention!


6 comments:

  1. Your kids look thrilled with your Game night and congratulations on the Cake, looks like everyone is enjoying it! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful family fun. You're Creating memories for yourself and for the two of them.Makes Me yearn for My years of raising my girls. Treasure every moment with your little ones.God bless and hugs to you-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Board games are one our favorite activities too. My husband used to question why I had saved all my childhood board games, but I'm so glad I did. Wonderful memories. Cute pics of your kiddos. Yummy food too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with ya neice!! Being frugal and having fun with what we have!!! We are planting a garden! And I can't wait for the veges to grow!! Mary and Nic are getting so big and cuter everytime I see them!! You are blessed!! Love your Ark! Yay for the kids wanting wood animals!! They know their Mama!!! Take care, Love ya, XOXO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Jill! Creating great memories, having fun, and saving money too!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family game night is a great tradition to start!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!