"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Sunday, April 1, 2012

RESTORED & RENEWED

Have you ever felt "called" to do something? And you're not sure why this feeling is so strong, but you know you've just GOT to answer that call?


That's how I felt when I picked up this Infant of Prague (a statue of the Boy Jesus) at our local thrift store.  He was just staring at me, with his two broken fingers and time-worn body.  I picked him up.  I put him down.  I picked him back up and put him back down.  And I walked away.



Thoughts of this statue would not leave me.  I picked him back up for the last time and brought him home.



He sat for months, patiently waiting for my time.


And that painting paid off!  He has finally been restored and refreshed.


Using paper clay, I sculpted new fingers onto his right hand, which is raised in a blessing.  The left hand has its palm turned upwards and holds a symbol of rule over the world – the imperial orb surmounted by a cross. 


Instead of the classic red heart, I decided to have Jesus wearing a "purple heart", to represent all those in the military who have been wounded or killed while serving their country.


Choosing a robe wasn't a difficult decision.  I knew I wanted him to wear green, which symbolizes Life and Hope.


I didn't dare touch his beautiful face!  The artist who created him back in 1950 did such a wonderful job, I wanted to leave it in its original condition.


One of the most surreal moments of restoring this old statue was the thought that my hands and the hands of another artist 62 years earlier, were working together to create this gorgeous piece.  Two minds, decades later, still working together.


As I sat painting, Mary came up to me, patted my back and said, "It's so good to see you working in your art room again, Mommy!"  Much like this statue, I've been restored and refreshed!


5 comments:

  1. Good for you, glad you are refreshed!!! Nice job, the restore is good!!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you rescued this lovely statue. You have given him a new life again. A beautiful restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Jill I love how you told the story of the two artists coming together! That is awesome and I could imagine it. Mary is so sweet and I just know how she touched your heart and gave you a confirmation!! Your art is important to you! Awesome!! Love ya, XO Aunt Frannie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful restoration, and yes I've often done the same thing, picked something up put it back and picked it up again.
    My only regret is when I walk away not purchasing it and dream about it later. :0(
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill this post is perfect for Easter week.Gorgeous!I'm sure it was so much fun to do.Something slightly similar happened to Me this week.Since birth and generations before Me,we have been full gospel protestants.But I've always wanted Mary on a piece of Jewelry?So this week I bought,with much going back and forth a Charm bracelet with Mary on it.Now I love it :)

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!