"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Saturday, April 21, 2012

Restored Blessed Mother & Snowbaby

Lately, it feels as if I'm being called to restore old religious icons.  I found this Lefton statue of the Virgin Mary who needed a little TLC.  Her halo and base were both chipped and she was just plain dirty.


After giving her a good scrubbing, I restored her halo and base using paper clay.  Her original colors were pretty, but I was drawn to painting her robes green and purple.


Green signifies Life and the Earth.  Purple signifies Royalty. 


I'm always so worried about painting faces, but I thought she came out just fine.  I also added some gold glitter to her halo.

A good coating of of protective high gloss finish, some light antiquing, and she's good as new! 

A vintage snow bunny beckoned me for some updating too.  His face was almost completely rubbed off and his white outfit just couldn't come clean.  I love vintage, but I draw the line at dirty.  I strive to keep the aged look of the piece, without it looking grubby.  I don't like having to wash my hands after picking up something old.  

After repainting him, I decided to try something completely different and changed his glittered white bunny outfit to sparkly blue and added some hair.  I'm feeling much more confident touching up faces at this point.


Have a scrumptious week!




5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice makeovers....they both look so pleased!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous and one-of-a-kind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was April 21 before the Father spoke to you about what He was thinking about.Jill,What an awesome God we serve!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!