"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, January 4, 2012

When I was a Young(ER) Artist

While our house is in complete upheaval preparing for attic renovations, I came across some old drawings. Can you make out these caricatures? Hint: the year was 1983 and M*A*S*H was ending. I was 13 and tried to duplicate this drawing that was on the front cover of TV Guide.


In 1988, I discovered "Pen and Ink" drawings. I'd take a calligraphy-type pen, dip it in ink, and try to draw without pools of ink creating huge blotches on my paper. An article about baby seals being illegally killed in a magazine caught my eye and a real life image of this puffy white baby broke my heart. I tried to capture the deep dark eyes in Pen and Ink.


This picture was copied from an artist my father knew. He had drawn a horse using the Pen and Ink method so I thought it would make a great learning tool to see where he would slash and score his lines. Of course, compared to his horse, I thought mine was terrible. Looking back 24 years later, it's not so bad after all!


Have you ever heard of "Pointillism"? It's a form of painting in which small, distinct dots of pure color are applied in patterns to form an image. At the tender age of 18 I dreamed of getting a pilot's license, but couldn't afford the tuition. So, what's a girl with this unreachable dream to do? Make friends with some pilots! This was a plane I flew in one winter day and it was one of my most memorable experiences. One thing bothered me about this picture though and I couldn't figure it out until another pilot pointed out the obvious - the naked eye couldn't see propellers spinning so fast. I had drawn the picture from an actual photograph of the plane sitting on the ground, so I drew what I saw. Then I added a background that depicted the plane flying, so I wouldn't have seen the proellers in motion. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes doesn't it?!


It's been such a long, long time since I've actually drawn, let alone tried Pen and Ink or Pointillism. It's amazing that I came across these old pictures now, because for Christmas, Ted got me a charcoal drawing set. Hands don't fail me now!

9 comments:

  1. You must get back into your art, you sure are talented... and I'm not just saying that! It will be fun to see what you come up with this year Happy 2012. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Jill!No wonder you carve so beautifully.You have always been a true artist.Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gift to be able to draw like that. Very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the seal; you really captured their wide-eyed innocent look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are incredible! I doodle but could never come up with these! You are so very talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your drawings are gorgeous! I have no artisit talent whatsoever!! i can barely draw a straight line with a ruler and am so jealous of those who have such an ability!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew you were this good!!! I'm totally impressed. Is there anything you CAN'T do? I don't think so. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - may have to post some of my art from way back when. I can't imagine being able to do now what I was able to do then. If ya don't use it you lose it. But, I do have my paint box in my office/studio - brand new and untouched for three years now . . .
    sigh
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. M*A*S*H was my favorite show back then. I was 23 or so back then. I think your drawings of the cast are great as are your pen and ink and pointillism. I use to draw more myself and I am more into cutting out stuff with scissors now...then gluing it down. : )

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!