"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Monday, December 19, 2011

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery

Yes, I realize Halloween was almost two months ago, just hear me out!


The weekend before last, we planned to visit my friend, Beth, who lives in Jersey City. While visiting, we all head out to NYC to look at the store windows and just get in the Christmas mood. This year, while up in that area, Ted surprised me with a visit to The Sleepy Hollow Cemetary.


"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "A Christmas Carol" are my two favorite stories. If Ted was willing to bring me to New York for Sleepy Hollow, think he'll take me to England for Scrooge?!


It was the biggest, most beautiful cemetary I've ever seen.


Hills, trees, streams, old walkways and paths, and endless hidden nooks scattered throughout the cemetary.


Once, while visiting a Revolutionary time-period cemetary in Vermont, we met a young woman who studied old cemetaries and traveled searching for them. She told us that headstones originally were made to look like bedposts to resemble a person sleeping. And the person's hands were folded as if he was saying his nightly prayers.


Antique mausoleums dotted the grounds too. By now, most of the copper doors had turned to a green patina. There were also old cave-like dwellings with these cage doors protecting anyone from getting in......or were they trying to keep those from getting out??


I was surprised by some of the famous names who now use this cemetary as their eternal resting space.


The man who brought us here!


Meet the "Strange" family.


John D. Rockefeller and Andrew Carnegie are just two more "Big Wigs" buried here. This is Carnegie's gravesite. Rockefeller, no surprise, is farther up the hill in a mausoluem the size of a house.



A "mock" bridge created to help people picture poor Ichabod trying to get across to save himself from the Headless Horseman.


And in the center of town - this amazing piece of art.


While walking through this amazing cemetary, you could almost feel Washington Irving walking along side you, filled with inspiration and ideas for what would become an American Classic.

9 comments:

  1. So glad you got to visit such an interesting & historic place! I love stuff like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun trip! not everyone would enjoy a cemetary trip.. but I do believe also that they are beautiful and interesting places!
    Hope youre' all set for the big day!
    Merry Christmas!!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill all I can say is WOW!!! I would have loved that adventure!! So perfect for you!! I can see your creative mind turning!! LOL I'm on the couch trying to get get my mojo back!!! LOL And the rush is on!!! Love ya, XO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pics. As someone who appreciates Halloween and also has parents who own a funeral home, wandering a beautiful cemetery would definitely be something I'd have done too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun family Trip! I am feeling better thanks for stopping by to check on me. I sure hope you have a wonderful Christmas and avery Happy Holiday to you and your Family ox,

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT A GREAT POST! I'm going. It's on the list. I watched Sunday Morning's coverage by Rita Braver, and wonder if you saw the parrot skeleton in one of the mausoleums. This place looks fantastic. Your children are so lucky. And the pictures were perfect. Thank you Jill. You share the best stuff! Merry Christmas Patsye p.s. Try to get to New Orleans and Savannah some day. They have great cemetery tours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old cemeteries are amazing. I love the ones in New Orleans. Wow! This was interesting. Thanks for taking us on the tour with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Buddy
    That Sleepy Hollow trip looked like a lot of fun. Did you see any headless horsemen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worked up the street from there.
    Do visit the cemetery in Savannah GA
    and Key West FL.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!