"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Monday, November 7, 2011

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

When life gets tough, pick up a carving knife and take your aggressions out on a piece of wood. Can't hurt. Might help.


This carving was inspired by an idea a fellow wood carver, Ron Ransom, sent to me.


Have you ever considered wood carving? It's an amazing art form. If you ever are interested in trying, I highly suggest picking up a few of Ron's carving books. I learned step-by-step how to carve based on his easy directions and loads of pictures as guides. Had it not been for Ron, I probably would have given up what has come to be my truest love in the world of art.


Ron found a piece of wallpaper with Noah's Ark and three animals connected to each other and devised the plan to carve a Santa with it. I loved it and Ron was kind enough to send me a pattern, knowing I would tweak it to reflect my own personality and carving style.


Rather than having the ark and animals connected, I chose to carve each separately. I also tried to create a more folk-artsy styled ark.


The story of Noah's Ark is one of my favorites in the Bible so I love the idea of combining Santa Claus with it.


While dealing with an extremely stressful situation in my family, I was able to use the talents God gave me to create something wonderful. Ironically, under such stress, I think I carved my best piece ever.



Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive and inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

8 comments:

  1. An absolutely stunning piece. The details are breath-taking...right down to the delicate painting on the back of his coat. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing!!! Beautiful details....hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, and I love the tiny detail on his back. Lovely job, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful work. Such an art.
    xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. B E A T I F U L Jill man you sure can rock them out when you're under stress!! You need to showcase that somewhere or send it in to a one of those magazines!! I love that you made a Santa instead of a Noah! It makes it unique and your own design. I feel so blessed to know you. Sending my love and I have beenholding you up in prayer!! XO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow buddy this is my new all time favorite carving of yours, It's totally awesome.
    Melsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, it's beautiful!
    what an incredible gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how you do this. I don't know where you get the time. I can't figure out how you get so much done, and then write about it, and also write great comments on other's blogs. Are there three of you? I'm so impressed.

    Ready for Thanksgiving? I'm not. I'm going to order a Honey Baked Ham, and make a few casseroles in advance so that this year I can watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV, something I haven't done in years! LOL. Patsye

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!