"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, September 23, 2011

Something Wicked This Way Comes

So, what do you do when you've got a piece of wood all ready to be carved into a Santa Claus, but you just can't get into the Christmas spirit? Why, change Santa into the Grim Reaper of course!


It's been a long time since I picked up a carving knife, too long actually. So, I felt a bit rusty when trying to transform Santa into this Halloween ghoul.


Carving the skeleton's face was the most challenging, but I had a ball adding the eye sockets, and what should have been his nose and mouth! His skull is several shades of gray and white. Then I added a subtle hint of green glitter to give him a real deathly look.


I knew I wanted more than just a black robe and spider webs did the trick. A touch of Harvest Orange to his robe and the colors came together.


The whole piece is about 7 inches tall.


Distress ink is one of my favorite mediums for giving something an aged look.


Back to the Funny Farm!

9 comments:

  1. Whooooo....scaryyyyyyy......Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are my hero for making a Santa into a Spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SQUEAL! You are so talented. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JILL YOU"RE BACK!!! YAY!! Now send some of your Mojo energy my way!! I am just so tired and can't find my mojo at all!! I am so behind on everything!! I need to spend a day with my neice Jill and just play! That would do it!! Sad face. Maybe someday though!! Love ya and thanks for sharing!! XO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jill check out my blog for today! I asked for a prayer request!! Blog explains it all!! Maybe this will get my mojo back!! Thanks, XO Love ya Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! halloween fun! hes
    awesome Jill.
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  7. It still blows my mind how you can carve. That's a real talent! I love this. Patsye

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!