"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vintage Finds and Thrift Store Therapy

Thanks for all the comments and emails encouraging me during this time. Well, I may be down, but I'm not out. During this creative block which is leaving a gaping hole in my heart, I've been trying to get inspiration by treasure hunting.

Last Friday, Mary, Nic and I helped organize the Senior Citizen's Center Christmas in July Sale. For $2.00, I came home with a sweet little bag of goodies.

Circus picks.....


a bag filled with Wizard of Oz cupcake toppers.......


What I considered tacky a few years ago, I now love - tacky or not! Look at this little boy spotting Santa out his bedroom window!


Mini glass balls and a bag full of old bottle brush trees. Score!


Cute little cards.....


Antique German nativity pieces! I saw these at the sale last year, but didn't buy them. This time, I had to grab them. They're old paper mache figures and are all marked Germany on the bottom. They've all seen better days, but I'm sure another year of being stored away and they'd be totally trashed.


From the same shoebox was this chalkware set, all marked, "Japan" on the bottom. Not a bad lot of old Christmas for $2.00 and a couple hours of volunteering!


"The Barn", as we call it, has been extra good to me lately. Check out this metal Perfection game. I never even knew it existed. I only remember the plastic ones.


For $4.00, it was a must-have.


A very sweet Platt & Munk book.


Look at this old deck of cards I found.


Each card has a different bird. Nice!


OOOOO! This was a fun find! This pack of cards is dated 1940 and it actually has instructions on how to use the NEW plastic cards!


The booklet inside is so cute. It talks about how much better plastic cards are than paper ones, that rip, crease, and tear. It even has directions on how to clean them! I guess it's one of the first decks made with plastic.


For those Raggedy Ann and Andy lovers, I'll be listing these sometime soon. They're both dated early 1960s.


HangMan! Remember this game? Mary really likes it. There's something to be said for these old games where the people playing are in control, not a computer.


Ok, why did I buy vintage chess pieces? Well...for $1.00, I kept thinking, "altered art"......


Mixed media.......


And I may just use some of the black pieces for Halloween assemblages.


I don't know the age of this pack of cards, but it's from France. Very unique for art journaling and such.


One of my favorite games growing up. This is about as far as I went with electronic games. I never had much interest in video games....Atari during this time!


And what's better than buying something for nothing at a thrift store? Getting it for free at freecycle.com!

So far, I've gone through 2 brand new and 1 relatively new sewing machines and they kept breaking before I could even sew on them. A woman offered me this Singer from 1979. What a dinosaur it looks like compared to today's machines, but maybe this one will actually work. So far, I had to buy the manual and a foot for it. When I read the directions on how to thread it, I'm lost. Mooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!


Wishing you all a weekend filled with treasure hunting and gotta-have'ums!

12 comments:

  1. You certainly have some lovely goodies. I'm always addicted to "anything" Christmas (those circus picks are pretty darn nice too) and your Raggedy Ann & Andy books have beautiful illustrations. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise you that once you learn to sew, and have been sewing for awhile, you'll be able to thread any machine. I also read something interesting today in a new book, Inspired To Sew...which I referenced in my last blog: Use the "same thread in the bobbin that you use on top. ...It messes with the tension and generally creates havoc" if the threads are different. Who knew? But good advice.

    Love all those games and books. You find the neatest stuff. And yes, I want to come to PA...ANYWHERE but FLORIDA!!! I'm too hot! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jill! What wonderful finds! I never come away with such treats at the flea market sales around here! Some of the stuff you got I've seen in antique shops for much more! Now - you just turn those treasures into something new and wonderful - it's your gift! Can't wait to see what will happen to all those Oz picks and chess pieces. Also - I could never cut up those playing cards . . . scan them!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Jill I think you're the best cherry picker around!! Love all your treasures and I'm pretty sure I heard some excitement in your voice of how to use some of that stuff or most of it for C-R-E-A-T-I-N-G!! I thought maybe if I spelled it out for you it might help get your mojo back!!! Stop by my blog I posted my place where I do all of my dreaming and creating! And I have new pics of Caylee on just before that!! Love all your goodies! And I love you too! Aunt Frannie XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great goodies you got! Love the German nativity! I have never seen a metal perfection game either until now. Thanks for sharing that! I adore that French deck of cards! I've enjoyed my visit to your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. Have a most lovely and blessed weekend!

    Waving from Our Back Porch,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for stopping by! can't wait to see what you do with the awesome french chess pieces!
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack and Jill went up the hill to find some vintage treasures, when Jill fell down Jack picked her up and all was back to good measure.

    Off to work, but wanted to stop and check on you. I've been asking the good Lord to give you favor and encourage you out of your slump. He has great plans of inspiration for you, after all, he knows you best and that creative flow will return. I just know it!

    Yes...going on a little thrift escapade is very good therapy and takes us from funk to fun!

    Bless you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to be so happy with this old machine. The heavy weight is so reassuring when you are sewing. Just remember to hold the thread with your left index finger at the top of the machine against the machine itself as you pull down and up your free thread under the round knob. Also make sure the pressure foot is in it's upmost position while doing this - your tension won't be right if not. Good luck! Looking for your winter creations! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey friend!!! I have been absent for so long and I have missed you!!! I love all your finds and LOVE the bird cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Give it up Jill what did you make? I wanna see it!! How are you doing sweetie? We are so blasted hot here and even more the end of the week. I think I just went ahead and said goodbye to most of my flowers already. So sad, but so hot. We celebrated Sims b-day over the weekend. Looking forward to hearing from you! Love ya, XO Aunt Frannie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! For $2 , that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!