"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, June 9, 2011

Some Antique Images For You - Scrumptiousness!

This past Saturday, Ted and I visited a HUGE warehouse filled with tons of old books, cabinet cards, photos, ledgers, newspapers, advertisements, magazines, letters, oh...it goes on and on.

We'd been there before, but I never knew there was an upstairs and they were having a book sale! I left with 8 antique children's books with the saw-weetest pictures and thought I'd share some with you.


The books are from the 1930s-1950s.


Most are Whitman and Rand McNally, probably my favorite publishers of children's books. They always have the cutest images.


Children playing, cute little animals, elves and pixies, even Raggedy Ann and Andy!


ABCs, rhymes, counting, poems, games - so much for kids to do long before they had computers!


Unfortunately, the kids were getting very impatient (there was no air-conditioning upstairs and it was pretty hot and dusty), so I didn't have as much time as I'd prefer to go through them all. But, we'll be back!


In the meantime, I've listed these on Etsy should someone want to use the images for crafting. I'm getting addicted to these old images for my ATCs and art journaling. I've got cut out pics filling shoebox-sized boxes and bins.


You can never have enough though!


Just ask any artist. You need the right tools for the job. You wouldn't expect a plumber to show up without a plunger would you?


Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Cute!cute!
    I am organizing a virtual party on my blog, I invite you to participate if you like it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jill thank you for these precious images. I can't decide which one I like the most!! Oh how I still want to come over your house and play, create and have fun!! You behave while I'm gone. I'll miss you! Love ya, XO Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jill!
    Yes,understand very well.
    It will be a big party!
    Thanks for participating.
    You can wear a button to your blog.
    In my blog I have a translator.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...you dishes out some really cute charm for me this morning. I am a nut about books, especially the old childrens ones. Ha...these cuties put Dick and Jane and Spot to shame!
    Out the door to the sunny skies of Seattle. Burgers and shakes at a 1956 diner later today.
    Cute photo's of fish and kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love these!
    it's great to find awesome vintage children's books!
    have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply too sweet! I bet they go fast! Hope you had a nice weekend, my friend!
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jill... love those kitty pics ... so cute!
    Thanks for visiting my blog... sounds like you had a great day at home alone... get some rest now =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Jill: These are beautiful, and I know what you mean. When I "yardsail" I head straight for the children's books for they contain some of the most amazing art. I have a huge collection, but they're all so beautiful I can't cut them up, but rather I photocopy or just use for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!