"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, June 30, 2011

I've got the Blues

Ted calls it "Post-Party Depression."

He may be onto something.

After spending months working on the Old-Fashioned Carnival, I'm now completely devoid of creative energy. No matter how hard I try, I just can't bring myself to create and this makes me so sad and lethargic.


I try to boost my mood trying other things, like getting back into cooking. For a while, I was experimenting with Chinese cooking and was doing really well. It's not the same.


I try learning to sew.

I bring a brand new sewing machine to my mom's house - it doesn't work.

Mom tries teaching me on her machine - it breaks while we're using it.

My friend gives me a mini machine she just got for Christmas - it doesn't work.

Maybe I should just learn to stitch by hand.


Oh well, there's plenty of washing.....


and cleaning....


and organizing to do!


Cleaning, organizing, and destashing. I really love it. I'm one of those types who likes to clean, sort, and keep a tidy house. The focus here was my art stash!


Have you ever been shocked by how many supplies you have?


So many fabrics, so little time.


Do you see why I really want to learn how to sew?


I sorted and sorted through fabrics, laces, ticking, trims, and ribbons of all shapes, styles, colors, and textures.


Some old, some new, some borrowed, and yes, some blue.


This old metal cabinet's looking much better these days.


Meanwhile, all of my hatboxes are now sorted and organized.


A place for everything and everything in its place.


Even my old cards now have a pretty box to call home.


Until my creative mojo returns, I'll be browsing all the rest of YOUR blogs in hopes of evoking inspiration and ideas. For now, it's back to scrubbing, ironing, and purging.


And maybe figuring out a new or recipe or two.

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh, it'll come back! I always need a break after a big project and sometimes I think I am done for good. But, sure enough my creative spark always returns! I just got from vacation. I have lots of catching up to do. Your carnival looked absolutely spectacular!
    xo,
    sena

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww Jill... give yourself some time and eventually you will want to create again. In the meantime, enjoy your family and the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your blues. If it wasn't for my new blogging project and all the great new creative things I'm being inspired by here, I would definitely be curled up in a little ball in a corner somewhere attempting to recoup from a very draining school year. You, my lady, have been a great inspiration to me - your organizing sounds like a good plan, but I'm dragging my feet - and finding other things to do like posting comments and planning my first ATC!
    Joy!
    Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that old metal cabinet! That came from our grandparents attic. :)
    I guess it's natural to feel a let-down after all the excitement of preparing the carnival. It was so much fun and you were so in your element! I'm sure you'll get your groove back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do freak out sometimes over the amount of stash I have... but a girl needs many things to create! You will smile when the little sachets reach your home... they are a sweet little grouping~ Cheer up you have to create some more wonderful things for us all to see! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just been enjoying your pics of that amazing carnival you created and it's no wonder you're tired. My goodness what an awesome project and what fantastic memories for all who were able to enjoy it all. I think you need to allow yourself a little time off but all that organizing and sorting means you'll be well prepared once you've got your groove back.
    Well done Jill!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Jill I see some hat boxes I could turn in to nest purses for you!! LOL Right now Jill I have an old part of a hat in that nest purse. LOL I am in a creative mood and I need to clean and organize!! You and I need to switch gears!! It is so darn hot here today!! Take care, XO Love ya, Aunt Frannie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jill! I have to tell you I was at Michaels picturing YOUR Halloween shakers trying like crazy to get inspiration to create. It is such an odd feeling to be in a dry spell when our minds are usually brimming with ideas. I fall to sleep at night trying to think of a new craft to create - so far, dry spell! I'm stuck creating the familiar. Hang in there! E

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a FUN, fun, post! Loved it. I get those creative funks, too sometimes. Organizing seems to help. I have so much stuff, too. My mom saw my craftroom for the first time today and her mouth fell open as she said, "YOU have SO MUCH STUFF". I don't think it was a compliment LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Fran sent me a card this week that said...we have to get you creating! I agree, I have a happy room and I'm having a hard time getting crafty happy! Oh, I have projects...gnomes to paint, matchboxes to make and little houses to make and more. I have done one thing that makes me glad and that is start up reading again! I love to read and I go to Barnes often but I don't allow myself the pleasure. Like you, something always tugs at me first like laundry or weeds or bad men that own complexes that want to steal your yard away.

    Love you sugar pie honey bunch. Hang in there, this too shall pass and you'll be creating soon (I hope, ya got a ton to offer the world!) and bravo on de-stashing your piles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Jill I came right over here from Jackie's post to slap ya out of it!!! Now little Missy you are a very awesome person and that is why I love ya. Nobody does it like you. I think that's is a song or something. Have another party for goodness sake!! LOL I know a crafting party! I challenge you!! Anyways I got you held up in prayer. If you don't get better PLEASE go see the docter. I love ya, XO Aunt Frannie!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is what I need to do! Hope you find your mojo... I know I hate it when mine disappears for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope that mojo returns...I think it keeps certain souls healthy and balanced....some folks need to craft. Great stuff to sort thru!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ya, Looking over your blog..I like the old singer sewing machine, did you ever get it treaded? They can be a dilly sometimes, I wish I could say I have a place for all my stuff, I am a little disorganized..sometimes smile~Be back soon..~~ Tea~

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!