"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, June 15, 2011

For All The Bird Lovers

While overhauling my art room...and bedroom....and basement...and closets...and wherever else I stash my supplies, I noticed a very common theme - BIRDS. You name it, I've probably got it!

When I came across this pretty blue bird storage box, I thought it'd be a good place to store all my bird and bird-related supplies and pretties. Although I really liked this box, I attached some robin's egg blue and royal blue buttons on top of their cardboard button holders to enhance the look.


Every side of this storage box is pretty.


The background looks like a blue painted fence.




This is the fun part! When you open the box, it's bursting with birds!


On each door are two envelopes that have bird-related papers tucked inside. This envelope contains scrapbook paper with some light flocking. There's also a mini envelope marked, "Germany" that holds several stamps with birds on them. Most are owls.


Below is another envelope filled with Mother Goose rhymes about birds. I took these rhymes directly out of a child's book from 1917! Those pages have NOT been aged with antique ink; that's their real age showing!


The other door also has two envelopes. This one is filled with bird scraps. One is a comical frog leaning against a toadstool looking up at a bluebird. This scrap was taken directly from a vintage child's storybook.


Next, taken from the same vintage book is a piece where a girl is peeking up from behind a brick fence and birds are flying around her. I thought this would make a cute tag. Of course, how can I have a bird kit without 2 pink feathers?!


Where did I get so many bird supplies?!


Most of the birds are vintage, but there are some newer pieces as well. There's even a white metal bird hanger in this kit.


Lots of birdhouses, nests, feather birds, plastic birds, glass, and plastic.


There's even a plastic vintage pick of a chicken!


Some of the birds are practically microscopic! Very teeny weeny.


I'll just let the photos tell the rest of the story!






Originally, I was going to keep this kit as inspiration and of course, for the supplies. I've been making a conscious effort to make more room and concentrate on fewer projects though, so I'll probably list this on Etsy. If you're interested, feel free to email me before I change my mind!!

11 comments:

  1. cute cute... nice large collection of bird stuff! Hard to part with...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome collection!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive seen that box at a store that carries marjorie basten things. One of my favorite artists! its an adorable box.. You make wish I had bought it now! it was years ago that I saw it. I bet someone will snatch that up as soon as you post it!
    your package is going in the mail today!!
    xoxo
    viv

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing I must add to my list of what you love and collect. I get it...I love bird stuff too. Don't know why but I do.
    Got your message on the Barbie case...ha...I can't call you an indian giver because DARN, I never even got my chance to get my hands on the case and you snatched it back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there....just popped in after seeing you comment on a couple of blogs and I just KNEW I would like YOUR blog. The bird box is a great idea and you have so many cool things! Can't wait to catch up on more of your posts. I've added myself as your newest follower. PS: Love the pretty snowy scene in your header...it's blazing hot here in Houston, TX and just looking at it made me feel a bit cooler. Happy Summer Ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, I wanted to wish you a Very Happy Birthday! Wishing you all the best! Enjoy your day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Jill - what a whimsical little bird box! So glad you stopped by to visit me at the Writer's Reverie! I'll be following you too. I love creative inspiration - and you love The Creative Call, too!!! Awesome book! I review it every year! Look forward to more info and inspiration. Bucks County is just across the bridge from me in South Jersey, you know.
    Joy!
    Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is a great way to contain all things bird related. Some bird lover and crafter will be so happy to snatch that up, I'm sure.

    Stopping by from Two Crazy Crafters to wish you a happy birthday. Best wishes, Tamy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this blog!! Im now a follower!Thanks for sharing your beautiful works with us all!.If you get a chance id love it if you checked out my blog, we have Vintage in common and i also usually give away freebies too!
    Hugs June

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the birthday wishes! So much to tell, so little time to blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Jill!! Beautiful box of inspiration!! There's just something about birds!!! Little gifts from God!! Hope your birthday was grand!! Miss ya sweetie! Love ya Aunt Frannie!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!