"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, April 14, 2011

Peanuts & Popcorn & Crackerjacks!

Ted tells me, "You just can't help yourself." He's right. I don't know how he puts up with me and my ideas. Well, here's a new one - we're planning a "Mid-Summer's Festival" in a few months and my head's already bursting with ideas.

Yesterday, I finished painting this photo-op. Nic's my model in this picture.


Here's Mary posing for me. The "standee" still needs legs, but I'm debating on how I want to do it. I'm thinking of painting a clown on the other side for the girls who don't want to be seen as a male vendor.


It's only been about 3 weeks since I decided to make these vintage-like carnival games and I'm in the middle of creating 5 different ones at the same time! This Ring Toss was my first attempt at making them and it's completed, rings and all!


I LOVE the artwork from the 1930s-1940s and am basing all the decorating on this time period. These images came from old cards that I enlarged, attached to a piece of plywood and cut out.


Mary's demonstrating how the game is played. It's harder than it looks!


This Bean Bag Toss reminds me of "The Little Rascals." I got the idea from an old birthday card of a little boy looking into a fence hole that says, "Keep Out!" I changed it to him peeking through a fence at a Circus. Obviously, he can't afford circus tickets so can only fantasize from afar. Poor little bugger.


Mary painted the "Tickets" sign for me, which was tough for me to relinquish control! But, I thought, the whole point of me doing this is for the kids to have fun and how much more special it would be with Mary's hand in it. I actually prefer her childish penmanship to stencils which I would have used.


Ted's going to help me add the legs to the back so it will support itself.


Nic wanted to show Mary how it's done.


I loved the simplicity of "Tip-It." The object is to throw a beanbag or wiffle ball at each image and try to knock it over.


Originally, I was searching Ebay for vintage carnival games. They're either way too expensive or just cheap cardboard or plastic with missing pieces. Real wood is the way to go! My hope is to see these games played with and well loved for years to come.


What do you think, Nic?


I'll be taking a week or so off from blogging as we prepare for Easter and the kids go on Spring Break. Have a great Easter!

8 comments:

  1. Love all of it! :) Especially my super cute niece & nephew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary... you are a talented artist!!! Love the games and photo ops you have made. Have fun and enjoy your kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all Jill I'm gonna miss you!! Think of me I'll be on the couch after surgery! It's on Good Friday. I LOVE THOSE GAMES!! You sell them!! Patent them do something to them! They are amazing!! They look so vintage!!! Have a great week. Love ya a bunch, XO Aunt Frannie!! PS I'm working on first ATC swap! So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the games youre making. They are really awesome. The kids are going to love playing them and the adults are going to oooh and ahhh over them!
    have a blessed Easter!!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful games, etc. you have recreated! I am sure they will be enjoyed for years.
    Happy Easter to all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I would love to play those games with you. Wonderful goods Jill...
    Jack says so!
    Happy Easter Time to you. Joy to you each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful! Did you use a scroll saw? I ask because I'm thinking of getting one and could use a recommendation. Hope you and yours have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Lady where have you been? These are wonderful, btw!
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!