"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Sunday, January 9, 2011

Free Vintage Valentine Images For You 1930s-1940s

Remember this past summer, when we traveled to Dane and Candy's farm? We picked corn, rode horses, discovered kittens in the barn, built bon-fires, and my favorite - did lots of antiquing!

This is one of my greatest scores - several boxes of vintage valentines from the 1930s-1940s.


Ok, Jill. They're cute. But why are they considered such a score? Glad you asked! Let me explain - no. Too much. Let me sum up. These are super rare and unique because they are as original as you can possibly get them. These were found during a warehouse estate sale. The warehouse has been closed for nearly 70 years! The children of the owner who were conducting the sale didn't even know these valentines existed!


I bought several boxes of these. Inside each box are not only the uncut, unfolded valentines, but their envelopes as well. I'm guessing these boxes were supposed to be distributed to stores, but the warehouse closed before they made it out. Talk about unique!


I picked up sets of children and animals. There is also a large set of 3D valentines. When you fold them, they turn 3-dimensional and stand alone. I couldn't decide which was cutest, so I wound up buying a box of each. I know. I'm so weak!


So for my journaling, tagging, scrapbooking, junque journaling, ATCing, ACEOing friends, here are some delicious images for you!


I'm also selling little lots on my Etsy shop and on Ebay. Ebay has more of an assortment including the larger 3D valentines for those who may be interested in getting hold of some of these rarities! Of course, my Ebay seller name is: buckscountyfolkart.

Enjoy!!!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for these images. I collect a lot of antiques, but have never bought old cards. I am going to start, but these will get me started on my Valentine art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet Jill. I've always had a thing for the Elephant ones I love them! Wouldn't it be cool to be able to hold the cards and go back in time when the company was working full ball and producing all these amazing cards, all the workers rushing around,designers designing in their offices.... then be able to see the final days of the warehouse open then see the boxes left in a lonely old warehouse for all those years...i so wish I had psychic abilities. Awesome score, mind you if hubby came home with a card for me that said "YOUR REALLY SOLID" I don't think I would be very happy!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the Valentines we used to share in school (some of which were three-dimensional too). Cute find. Thanks for sharing. Patsye

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are killing me with your cute stuff! Why don't you just hang me on the line to dry...I'm drooling all over the place. Adorable!

    Went to see Yogi Bear! Did you take the kids? I loved it. What a good laugh and 3D to boot. For the first time, it kinda made me want to be a granny! Yikes!

    I'm cleaning and sorting everything in the house it seems and making huge progress.

    Len and I walked the mall today to get some exercise..much needed but we have some snow and ice so inside we went.

    Those trading cards! Yes, I know what you are talking about but I've never made one. Friend Nico asked me to join her in a trading group but I still have not took the plunge. That was about 6 years ago. Can't wait to see what you've been cookin' up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, I absolutely adore this story of finding these treasures! I can just picture you nearly fainting when opening these boxes. You are so sweet to share them with us. They are so unique and absolutely wonderful! You're the best! E

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! I would have been beside myself too if I had been at that sale. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. total score! I've been hoping to find a few old valentines or valentine's day post cards. You really hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!