"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, December 23, 2010

Teaching my kids to play Hookie!

I'm a very, very responsible and practical person, many times to a fault. After my lists are checked, and rechecked, and added to, and tension mounts, I just need to let go! What better way than to play hookie for a day?


Last week, I purposely kept Mary and Nic from going to school for the sole purpose of spending time with them.


Their "Poppy and Busha" had taken us to this fab-u-lous store the previous Saturday, but it had been packed with people. This time, I went on a Wednesday morning and it couldn't have been more pleasant.


There was so much to see and take in!


One couple kept looking at me and laughing saying, "Obviously, you're new here!" I can't help myself. I get so excited.


The kids were so good about letting mommy take pictures. They set it up in such a way that there are photo-ops everywhere!


This is the closest to the North Pole as I'll probably ever get.


What an amazing job they did decorating. Wherever you turn, there's something totally new and different to look at.


Sorry Mary, you can't take the polar bear home with you.


An explosion of snow, Christmas trees, and ornaments.


One of my favorite parts was the Sweets Shop. It was loaded with candy trees, gingerbread houses, huge candy cane ornaments and faux desserts.


Across the way was the Irish Shop. This little Irish lassie couldn't resist a wee peek inside!


If you like nutcrackers, Feeney's is the place for you. You want it, they got it.


They even had alittle vignette of Ralphie in his pink bunny outfit.


Being a miniature lover, the villages caught my eye. There were just as many on the other side!


The most fun was just going somewhere new and different. My only regret is I hadn't known about this place sooner. All these years I could have been going!


Yet, another photo op for the kids. They liked this one best.


Here we're in a huge green-house so it's extra bright and sunny. There are skaters in the background along with a Father Christmas.


Santa and his reindeer fly overhead.


Outside there are some real animals for the kids to see by the manger scene...bunnies, chickens, sheep, and a dwarf pony.


Come on, Mommy! Let's go!

6 comments:

  1. Love all the pics Jill, thanks for sharing them. A hooky day, I love it! Feeney's is so amazing. We didn't get over there this year, and I'm hoping it's all still there to enjoy on Monday when we finally have time. (and no crowds, lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, Your Christmas Carol tale is a work of art! Your talent at sculpting just amazes me! I was enthralled! This was the sweetest post to me. I remember hooky days. What an amazing Christmas store! I have never seen anything like it under one roof. Wow!
    It has been such a joy following your artistry this past year and getting to know you through your blog. I look forward to your inspiration int he New Year.
    Merry Christmas to you Jill! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you already guessed this about me but I played hookie all the time and so did my children and I hope one day when I have grandchildren they will follow suit!

    What strikes me most about this kind of day is the joy on the faces of your children. Spending time, breaking rules and just being who the good Lord intended us to be...full of joy, full of love and full of family.

    I have a special Santa for you I picked up at a thrift store. I just know, he needs to go to your home in 2011. I'm sending you a care box...once I find the care box! Expect it sometime in 2011...tee hee!

    I love you Jill...and Merry Christmas. May Jesus fill your heart to the brim and may an elf always be at your side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill you're a pretty cool Mom!! XO Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill
    Thanks for stopping by! You have a wonderful blog and make such beautiful things. I loved that you spent a day playing hooky with the kids. Now THAT'S my kinda Mom! Enjoy your little ones. They grow sooo fast!
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jill-
    Looks like you all had a great time! I'd even like to play hookie for a day at this place!
    Smiles-
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!