"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, October 1, 2010

Decorating for Fall Harvest Fun!

Fall in Bucks County is a wonder to behold! Trees are ablaze with rich earthy colors. Pumpkins, gourds, and fallen leaves are everywhere. Little animals on our property busily search for morsels for the long winter, while my favorite squirrel just sits on my kitchen windowsill waiting for his daily piece of bread.

It's so exciting to bring the colors of the outdoors inside! Our old rustic home fits right in with the look of the season.


I thought it would be fun to make a hanging banner this year.


There were so many phrases to pick from; finally, I was decided "Fall Harvest" simply encompassed them all.


The large glass jars are filled with fragrant home-dried apples, oranges, and lemons. I made little cinnamon ornaments and added scented candle pieces to help fill the room with the smell of a warm kitchen! A fun part of making these jars was searching for Mother Nature's trophies with the kids. We found pinecones, teasel, dried leaves and flowers, even some rocks to fill the jars.


Remember vintage Halloween blow-molds?! Who would have thought I'd be decorating my own house with them 30 years later?


Three old spindles give the black ravens a place to perch. Now, perhaps my ear deceive me, but I would swear late last night I heard the repeated banter of, "Nevermore!"


Burnt orange, chocolate brown, prairie green, barn red....it's all eye candy!


Am I overly excited?!


Can you blame me for being overly excited?!


After taking the pictures, I remembered I had JOL Halloween lights! Though the camera makes it difficult to capture them, they really give the room some Fall ambiance!


Next to our fireplace is a little nook that holds a wood bench and old record cabinet. Ted rescued the cabinet from the dump and my Dad fixed it for us. It holds a vintage-style record player on top and I thought it could use a little sprucing up.


While visiting Lancaster, PA, we bought this glass jar with a latex bulb. They're oh-so-country!


Out with the 50s decorations and in with more Fall foliage! Another vintage blow-mold to complement the arrangement and of course, more ravens.


Who better than Edgar Allen Poe to add a bit of whimsy?


And when the lights go out, our Jack O'Lantern seems to come to life!


Hope you're enjoying the Fall as much as I am!

12 comments:

  1. I went to Indy Flea Markets looking specifically for blow mold Halloween decorations...not a single one to be found! You are SO LUCKY to have the ones you've got (if you ever want to get rid of them...hehe)

    Your decorations are absolutely WONDERFUL! I love the ravens and the pumpkins and ... well...ALL of it! It's so wonderfully festive!

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all but really love the raven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, it all looks wonderful! The ravens are beyond awesome!

    Amanda
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall too Jill! Your mantel looks great!
    I've got good news for you.....you were the winner of the Autumn Key pendant giveaway!
    Please email me with your address and I'll get it sent out on Monday to you!
    Smiles-
    Melissa
    www.honeygirlstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    I got most of the ravens from Michaels. I also have a really big one that I'm deciding whether to leave him as is, or decorate. Decisions...decisions.

    Looks like it's my lucky day! Thanks Melissa. I'm sure the Autumn key will fit in perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the image of imagining the view outside your kitchen window is wonderful. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place! Your mantle decorations are just wonderful. I love those vintage Jack-O-lanterns. Such great ideas found here! Your 50's party for your father is so special. Your hard work really paid off. Always fun to stop by and say hello! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi jill, nice to meet you! thanks for stopping by my blog. as for the "blah" comment on melissa's blog...it was a joke and she actually published it! she likes to torture me as her younger sister. (not related, but cosmic!) and remember the word YOUNGER. oh i so hope she reads this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jill, I love all your fall decorations, what fun! I'm still working on mine. I'm coming to your blog via Tobi's because I have just read your comment on her blog and I was cracking up! LOL, I have often told my hubby, imagine laying your ahem (you know what) on the edge of the freeway then wait for a Greyhound bus to run over it! Some how he did not like that analogy! Have a great weekend, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving those ravens this year. I want to dress them up just like you. Put hats and scarves on them and call them Milicent and Maggie and Murgatroid!

    It was so fun to see your home. It's so heartwarming. I love it Jill. It's just beautiful and inviting and cozy...I could go on and on. I think you are living in my dream home. Is it all stone on the outside? How old?

    I also looked back on your post about your parents and realized you don't have your dad anymore. What sweet times to remember though. You can see the happiness on his face.

    Off to work this morning...I'd bet my last buck I'll be selling some ravens and pumpkins today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no Jackie! My Dad is still alive and kicking! We just celebrated his 70th birthday a week ago, doing a 50s theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love love your fall decorations!! I adore those ravens! I love crows so much!! I saw a great big one in my pine tree this morning eating something and then carrying it away!! I don't even want to know what it was!! How much were those ravens? and are they bigger than the ones at the Dollar Tree do you know? You can shoot the answer on over to my comments on my last post!! Thanks! Been keeping my eye on your etsy!! It's set up so beautiful!! Take care, going to go get some rest. XO Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I have been in your part of the country the last month and it is so nice.I too was in lancaster love it There is so many decorating for fall in this area.I will be back saving your blog
    Laura Q

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!