"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, September 7, 2010

See You at the Funny Farm!

While visiting Dane and Candy's farm, I think it was the simple things that made the best memories. Climbing and jumping off hay bales was the newest adventure!



Despite only driving to the end of the driveway and back, riding a pick-up truck with Uncle Dane and cousin Haley was super exciting for kids who just had to drive eight hours strapped into their car seats.



Ted's Aunt Lynn took some time to teach Nic and Mary how to hit a golf ball.



Dane and Mary were practically joined at the hip all week. Anywhere he went, she'd be following with her barn boots on.



This is Candy and me trying to figure out how Spirograph worked! Remember that game?!



A fun part for Mary and Nicolai was meeting their second cousins. Or...was it their third? Wait...it was their first-cousins-once-removed. I think.



One day, we were "Hot in Cleveland"! Ted wanted to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. If you don't like heights this is NOT the place for you! I don't mind heights and even I got skittish by the time we reached the top. It was levels and levels of narrow escalators, in a huge glass building.



The gorgeous bucolic surroundings made for the most serene evenings.



Dane and Candy hosted a family reunion that allowed us to visit those we only get to see every few years. Here are Mary and Nicolai with their great-grandmother. She is Ted's "Gram" and just hit the milestone of 90 years old!



"Travel Light, Freeze at Night." I once learned that saying from a marine serving in Desert Storm. You'd think I would have learned after all these years, but nooo.... I made up my mind I would NOT over-pack this time. It was August after all! Don't you know, we were hit with a cold-spell, making it feel more like Fall? After a quick Walmart run, I was good to go! Ever the fashion-bug, I spent most of my days in "Tinkerbell" blue plaid jammies and purple ones with Eeyore.



While the adults mingled, the kids took part in a Scavenger Hunt!



Once inside, Candy knew how to keep kids entertained. Play-Doh for everybody!



Ted with Gram.



And when the long, long day was through and all the chores were done, Mary would read to Dane, who would slowly drop his head and nod off to sleep. Shhhhh.......

3 comments:

  1. Whatever you are skinny!!!! What an awesome sweet family!!! That looks like such an amazing visit you you guys and the kids. Mine would have gone nuts to get to do all those great things!!! Sweet sweet family my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me so homesick! Glad you were able to have such a great visit. And yes, our kids and Lori's kids are indeed 1st cousins once removed. Kaye would be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good times like those stick with you for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!