"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, July 21, 2010

She Called Me a "Junkie"!

Ya know, I've been called a lot of things in my life, but this was the first time I was ever accused of being a "junkie." No, we're not talking drugs here, we're talking a "junk-junkie." Now WAIT! In my defense, I was very particular about what I picked out. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's the story:

Last Friday, I helped set up for our local Senior Citizen's Center "Christmas in July" sale. The workers were allowed to buy some things early. When it was time to leave, we all showed the leader what we were buying so she could price them. She took one look inside my bag and with a disgusted look said, "This is ALL JUNK!" My jaw dropped as this very hefty woman in her 70s, with her raspy voice continued, "Junk! It's all plastic GARBAGE!" "But, wait!" I stammered, knowing full well despite her age, Arlene could easily knock me into next week, "See...I'm an artist. I like to use vintage Christmas with my...." "Junk! Junk!" She interrupted. "You're a JUNKIE! A JUNK-JUNKIE! Give me a dollar for the bag. What else do you have?" I showed her an old tree topper and some very pretty antique rose glass balls. "$2.50 for everything" as she heaved a heavy sigh in disgust. I promised her I'd return the next morning for more loot!

The next morning, bright and early, I went back with my friend Shannon and bought a few more goodies. Arlene was there. She smiled, shook her head, and told the ladies pricing my bag, "I know her. She spent hours here helping set up yesterday." For her, 75 cents."

So, besides the pastries I bought from the bake sale, how do you think I did for under $4.00?!




















5 comments:

  1. Hey Junkie!!! I love the Santas! We had one of those on something when I was a kid:) $4.00?!?! Awesome! ~Shelley O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE those tiny fuzzy fruits!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Jill, I'd say you're a really cool Junkie!!! LOL That is so awesome!! I too love the velvet fruit, and velvet Santas. I like the elfs too. Although Jackie might call them gnomes, which I see you got one of them,(or more). Your junk rocks!! XO Fran. Hey we could call you Junky Jill. Just thinking. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy! I am SO jealous, those reindeer, the babies, the kissing Santa & Mrs. Claus, the tinsel... What fun finds!

    Best wishes,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Jill! You always find such great stuff for next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!