"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Friday, June 18, 2010

Where Bloggers Create Party!

If you haven't heard, there's a "Where Bloggers Create" party going on over at mydesertcottage.blogspot.com. Come check it out and visit all the amazing work spaces artists have created for themselves!

Mine.....isn't so amazing. Functional, yes. Amazing? Nah.

I had actually posted this back in May, but, for those who didn't see it, here's where I do all my creating. This is my Dining-Room-Turned-Art-Studio, Studio! If we need the table, all I have to do is take off the kraft paper. In the meantime, it's a nice big work space.



The door from the kitchen is still decorated with flowers from Mary's fairy garden party. I've got an armoire to store my newly created folk art and favorite pieces. And books. Lots and lots of books for research and inspiration.



An old twin shelving unit works well for storing boxes and Tupperware full of supplies.



I've got both old and new hat boxes for storing flowers, laces, trims, and fabrics. They're not only useful, but to me, very pretty. The new boxes are much sturdier, while the old boxes have that very cool vintage look.



How could I consider myself a Holiday Folk Artist, if I didn't have Santa keeping me company? He's fun to decorate for the changing seasons and considering Ted saved him from impending dumpster doom, the price was just right!



Wool, paint, clay, beads, fabrics, trims, wood, metal, tin...all neatly organized.



The only room left with its original 1939 wallpaper. Ted's grandmom had this desk custom-built to fit a space in her home. We now use it to store Ted's old books and inside houses lots of glue, scissors, and such.



I'm not the only artist in the house. Meet Mary! This is where SHE creates!



This tiny little room was originally the foyer. As a birthday present last year, we converted it into an art studio just her size! It's complete with an antique desk, new shelves, and lots of art work.



Her favorite characters liven up the room.

Smurfs......



Fairies....




Old-School Strawberry Shortcake....



Painting the light switch was lots of fun. It looks like my son had lots of fun with a crayon while I wasn't looking!



Since I got to draw on the wall, Mary thought she could too! With damage already done, I let her have the one wall. It is an art studio, afterall.



This old door looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland or maybe The Hobbit.



We tried to give her a cozy feel by adding some pictures, along with stacking boxes to hold some scraps and supplies.



My favorite part of the whole room is how we used vintage metal lunchboxes to hold art supplies.



Care Bears hold markers for little hands.



Strawberry Shortcake holds a ton of Crayolas while Beauty and the Beast is loaded with pom-poms and pipe-cleaners.


Holly Hobbie, one of my childhood favorites, is used for bigger markers and pencils.



And of course, a picture of Mary, hamming it up at her first gymnastics photo-shoot!



Thanks for visiting. I can't wait to see all the others!

9 comments:

  1. That is a really great space! Little Mary is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little space is so perfect for Mary! I actually love how she decorated the wall - I'm glad you kept it. Happy creating to both of you! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg to differ!!! You do have an amazing space to create!!! I love all the charm of your home!! Your little girl is adorable. Tell her I LOVE the smurfs, strawberry shortcake and Holly Hobby!!!! Love that you shared my friend! I will HAVE to do this next year:) ~Shelley O.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary's space is divine. It would have to be after entering through such a great door. Your space is great also and with Santa watching you have to be "nice" and create all the year long. tfs
    luverlie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love care bears! What a great space! So, enjoyed my visit with you. Enjoy the rest of the party!
    Hugz,
    Zandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for popping on by and for such nice thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JIll YOU are just what I needed thanks for the pep talk! Love those green shelves so organized I used to be in the dinning room too till I was kicked out HA ha no one liked my singing :) It is all in fun. Have a great weekend!

    luvs and glitter
    ~jen
    p.s. I had that Holly Hobby Lunch box too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. Looks like you have more things to find spots for. I love the hat boxes and all the organization. Your daughter's little area is divine. I bet she gets lots of artistic encouragement, too. Thanks for sharing you and your daughter's delightful spaces.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!