"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Monday, June 28, 2010

Vintage Christmas Images to Share!

On Saturday, we took a road trip to Jersey City, to visit our friends, Beth and Karl. While Ted took Mary and Nicolai to a science museum, Beth took me to NYC! For my birthday, she planned out a few flea markets she knew I'd love.

While at "The Garage" I found some old Christmas cards that were part of a scrapbook from 1948. Here are three of the best ones I'd like to share with you. Feel free to use them as you wish!





I'd love to go back to "The Garage"; unfortunately, we only had about 15 minutes before closing so we had to act fast! It was heartbreaking though. I found these old pictures under piles of ephemera stashed in big Tupperware bins. So many of the old papers, cards, pictures, and scrapbooks were getting totally destroyed because of the way they were just thrown into the bins. Every time someone looks through them, they just get more crinkled and ripped. You'd think the man selling them would want to better preserve them. At least I was able to save these in time!

While in NYC, I also experienced my very first cab and subway rides! I'm sure I stood out like a sore thumb as I held onto the pole in the subway, big stupid smile on my face, excitedly saying how fast and fun it was!

And I'm certain I was out of my element when the man selling me the Christmas cards looked at me suspiciously and said, "Are you ALWAYS this happy?"

8 comments:

  1. Jill, this post is just as cute as you are!!!! XOXO Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping in NYC?? How awesome. I can only dream. I love that first card with the Santa. And hahaha, always happy is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are always happy and fun!!! What a great day! How long does it take for you to get ot NYC? I have another girl that I blog back and forth with that is from P.A. Her name is Melissa. I need to go and look at her blog name for you. Glad you had so much fun my friend! ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're about 1 1/2-2 hours from NYC. With bad traffic of course, that could make it much longer!

    I wish we would have had more time in the Garage because it was just the type of place I like. Bins and boxes full of all kinds of stuff, in no apparent order, so you never know what you're gonna get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cards!!! They remind me of the many my Grandmother collected over the years. And how fun...NYC! I'd love to visit at least once, and I do mean just once. I think it would be exciting to see all the sights and sounds, but I prefer a slower pace...that's why I can't wait to move out of the city and head for the country (: I bet it was an exciting experience.

    Michele
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adventure! The Garage sounds like somewhere I could get lost for hours and hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are sooo cute ! Thanks so much for sharing !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute, Christmas is coming! <3

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!