"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, June 3, 2010

Old Children's Story Books & Rhymes

I don't know what it is about old books that draw so many of us in. For me, older art work evokes feelings of simpler times gone by. I especially gravitate towards pictures of young children and family life. Just call me an old softy!

Ted secretly bought me this book illustrating the children of Charles Dickens's classics. After seeing some of these pictures, it makes me want to read the stories...or at least, see the movies!


Oliver Twist...


Paul Dombey & Florence on the Beach at Brighton.....


Jenny Wren, the Little Doll's Dressmaker....


This adorable book of children's rhymes was found in a box labeled, "$1" at an antique shop in New York.


I wish I had a scanner so you could see the pictures without the flash.


The art work in this big children's story book caught my eye.






And last, but certainly not least, a "Herself the Elf" record and storybook, still in its original wrapper and never opened. My daughter Mary has 2 of these old dolls. I'm torn between opening it or preserving it for a "Herself the Elf" collector!


Still more to come!

2 comments:

  1. the little flower girl book that you found looks so charming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! What great images!! That all needs to be made into a cd so we can make great things with the images!! So sweet. ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!