"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What to Do, What to do.....

Sometimes it's just relaxing to go through my supplies to see exactly what I have to create my folk art. After sorting through everything, I was surprised to see how many molds I've already created from turn-of-the-century bisque heads and figures. I absolutely adore the "Charles Dickens" look of these old doll parts and strive to incorporate that same feeling into all my work.

I also have a few vintage molds from Maureen Carlson, the person who taught me everything I know about working with polymer clay. Although I've had these molds for close to 15 years, I've never actually used them for any of my work. I suppose I take Santa and Mrs. Claus too personally! When it comes to sculpting them, I need to create my own facial expressions.



After the clay hardens, it's time for painting and putting the bodies together. Then comes my favorite part - making clothes and embellishing the pieces with lots of vintage details!






Today I'm concentrating on the daily responsibilities of running a home. My goal is to get ahead of it all so I can devote tomorrow to making some of these cuties. If I listen closely, I can almost hear them calling my name!

1 comment:

  1. I love those little babies in the second photo from the bottom! You're like the Teena Flanner of Bucks County. :)

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!