"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Sunday, April 25, 2010

Honoring the Creative Call

All my life I believed that Sundays were boring. There was the "obligation" of going to church, doing chores, and basically preparing for the long week ahead. With age came working full-time, leaving only the weekends for all the "catch-up" work. As Sunday night approached, my melancholy grew knowing that the following day was Monday and the entire cycle would repeat itself.

This past year, I've come to view Sundays as more as a gift from God, rather than an obligation to Him. What I've learned is that God gave us Sunday as a day not only to worship, but to renew and refresh ourselves. He gave us permission to relax and enjoy His creation. It's a shame that so many of us go through life always feeling the need to get things done and feeling guilty for taking time out to just "be".

This rainy Sunday morning, my entire family woke up at 9 am, which is incredibly late for us. I got up, snuck the last piece of chocolate cake, ate a banana and washed it down with more chocolate! I then watched some TV (something I rarely do) and played hide-and-seek with the kids. After, while Mary and Nicolai enjoyed a self-made picnic in the living room of strawberries, marshmallows, and mini chocolate chip cookies, I took a nice hot shower, did my hair, and promptly got back into my warm cozy pajamas. It's only 2 1/2 hours since I woke up and I'm already feeling completely relaxed and renewed in Spirit!

There are so many obligations ahead of me, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy some time off. Creating has become my form of worship and a way to thank God for the talents He has given me. Right now, there's a Santa Claus riding a horse waiting for me to finish in the Dining Room. Maybe I'll carve an antique spool into a Christmas ornament or needle felt an elf or angel. There are some really good books I'd love to curl up with and Mary wants me to come watch a play she and Nic are apparently putting on for Ted and me.

I wish I had understood the gift of the Sabbath years ago; I would have allowed myself much more time to relax and re-energize my mind, body, and spirit. God felt so strongly about this that He inscribed it into the 10 Commandments. Who are we to argue?!

2 comments:

  1. Such a nice post and such a wonderful way to spend a Sunday! Bet the little ones loved it too! Have a week filled with sunshine - I hear it will return tomorrow or so. ;) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa!! It was the BEST day! I took two hours to finish some Santas I'd been working on. Then spent over two hours ironing! Ted then took the kids out for three hours, giving me time to myself. I spent it organizing and turning my Dining Room into a work space for my art! Oh, it needs lots of work from tearing down 60 year old wallpaper to redoing the electric. For now, it's a very humble space, but it works!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!