"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, April 13, 2010

82nd Airborne

Just thought I'd show off some pictures of my good-looking father!



Dad served as a paratrooper in the US Army, 82nd Airborne Division. If I could go back in time, how I would love to see Dad jumping out of an airplane!



As the story goes, on Dad's second-to-last jump before graduating, he had a really bad landing and practically broke both legs. Rather than facing Boot Camp and training all over again, he told no one and went right back up for his final jump. I can't imagine how painful his final landing must have been, but that stubborn Irishman did it! He earned his wings with the rest of his class. He just couldn't stand for Graduation!



Dad went on to marry his High School Sweetheart and raise seven children. He worked many jobs until finally retiring from the US Post Office. Since then, he's been an avid reader, especially books about US History. Opening one of his books, I noticed he was using scraps of paper as bookmarks, so I decided to make him some. The first bookmark is Dad in full uniform. I copied some pictures of jumping paratroopers and used them as the background. I added a ball-chain and faux dog tags. The second bookmark shows a picture of him and mom when they were young and in love! I'm digging mom's shabby-chic sweater!

3 comments:

  1. Thank You sooo much for visiting my blog and your sweet words! I hope you have a wonderful week! Blessings, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Jill, what a creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shay! Feel free to use the idea. I know how much your parents love to read!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR VISITING!