"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Let Them Eat Funnel Cake






All the world loves a funnel cake. Maybe it's because of the memories it brings back from childhood. How excited we were when the carnival opened during those hot summer months. Hearing the screams of the people on the rides, playing the games hoping to win a stuffed animal, and the smell....that heavenly smell of those deep-fried funnel cakes sprinkled in sweet powdered sugar! And if you knew what was good for you, you'd wait until after the rides to have one.

I have other reasons for loving funnel cakes, not just the fond memories of the carnival. I grew up on them. Call me one of the lucky ones! During the summer, especially, ma would sometimes even make them for breakfast. Throughout the years, I realized how unique it was to make funnel cakes at home. When people realize I fry my own, they're always surprised. Their eyes widen and a look of total amazement comes across their faces. Then I pity them for only enjoying a good funnel cake once, maybe twice a year - and having to go to a carnival to get one!

So my friends, to show you how much I love you, I'm going to teach you how to make a funnel cake. But let me forewarn you: once you realize how easy and inexpensive they are to make, you'll cringe at the thought of spending $5.00 next time you see them at the carnival.

Ready? Here goes:

2 Cups Milk
2 Cups Flour
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Baking Powder

Now, all you have to do is:

1. Mix all ingredients above into a batter.
2. Heat oil on a skillet.
3. Once oil is hot, take a big spoon and lightly pour the batter in a circular motion around and around, criss-crossing like a spider's web. The thinner the circle, the crispier the cake.
4. Once the funnel cake starts browning, flip it over and let that side brown.
5. Drain on a paper towel.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and indulge.

You no longer need to wait for the summer to enjoy this sweet sensation. We just had them last night for dinner and although it felt like I had lead in my stomach for a few hours afterwards, it was well worth the trip down memory lane.

"Bon Appetit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR VISITING!