"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, March 4, 2010

In Honor of St. Patrick's Day





St. Patrick's Day is coming up fast, which inspired me to "go green" and try something new.

Recently, I discovered Victorian cones and decided I love them and have to have them. My first attempt making them was at Mary's Valentine's Party. I had all the girls make them out of scrapbook paper, decorate them, and fill them with candy. Some of the girls decided to turn them upside-down and make princess hats out of them instead, ahhhhh little creative minds at work!

So, with St. Patrick's Day in mind, I thought it was a great opportunity (or excuse) to forego laundry and stretch my comfort zone by delving into a whole new project. Like most of the projects I start, I hated it at first and wanted to throw it right in the garbage. Persistence paid off though, and I'm very happy with the results.

The cone is made from green and white toile fabric. If you click on the pictures, you'll see up close that the theme of this fabric is old nursery rhymes such as "The Little Old Lady Who Lived In a Shoe" and "Humpty Dumpy". The top is decorated with antique lace, rick-rack, and buttons. The bottom is covered with a wooden ball that I covered in green glitter. It still looked like it needed something, so back to the basement I went in search for that special something. Finally, I decided to cover the whole cone with glitter and mica flakes.

It's now hanging on our kitchen door and I smile every time I look at it. Making your home scrumptious doesn't have to be expensive. It's all in the little details.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR VISITING!