"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gram's Tin Picnic Basket









Ever since Valentine's Day, I've been on a search for "All Things Pretty". Pretty, to me, can be anything from delicate Victorian rhinestone brooches to primitive tattered quilts. It's not even so much a look sometimes, but a feel. I loooove the smell and feel of soft warm wool that I use when needlefelting. At the same time, the touch of Butternut or Basswood instantly calms me. I know other artists feel the same way when something as simple as a piece of vintage lace evokes feelings of peaceful, more simpler times.

While looking for nice containers to hold my most precious embellishments, I suddenly remembered an old tin picnic basket up in the attic that used to belong to Ted's grandmother. I knew it'd come in handy someday and hoped to store some of my best fabrics inside. When I opened it - another fun surprise! Vintage tinkertoys and old wooden spools! Since I recently started carving vintage spools, this was an even greater surprise. It's going to take some cleaning though. This was up in her attic for years and everything is covered in soot.

And to think, all this time I spent thrift shopping and treasure hunting, all I really had to do was take a stroll through my own attic!
























No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR VISITING!