"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Thursday, March 11, 2010

Finding the Sacred in the Ordinary

Waking up this morning, I was surprised that it was not only really late, but I also had a bad sore throat and still had to get both kids up, dressed, fed, and walked to the bus stop in less than an hour. Ordinarily, I would have felt very rushed and frustrated trying to get out the door. Maybe it's because I'm not feeling well, but instead of "frenzying" (to coin a word from my brother, Mike), but I stayed calm and everything got done just the same.

We headed out for the bus stop on time and we even walked slower than usual. While walking, I looked up and saw something I never before noticed. It was nothing unusual or even exciting, but it grabbed my attention as if someone had just placed a Monet in front of my eyes. It was just a huge barren tree, completely void of leaves and snow. Its dark brown trunk and branches set against the steamed-milk colored sky was picture perfect. Clusters of smaller branches all webbed out to each other forming what resembled an enormous monochromatic crazy-quilt in the sky.

I read recently a quote that has become one of my favorites, "Search for the Sacred in the Ordinary." Without realizing it at the time, that's just what I did this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR VISITING!