"What one can see out in the sunlight is always less interesting than what is behind a windowpane."













Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Everything's Goin' My Way







I'm so excited about this, I can barely sit still enough to type! OK....deep breath....3...2...1...here goes. For months, Mary's been asking for a birthday party so we're going to let her have one and invite friends from school. Two days ago, we chose the theme, "Enchanted Fairy Garden." Since then, my mind's been going a mile a minute, researching ideas and coming up with decorations that won't break the bank.

Yesterday, I came home from the Dollar Store with $40 worth of supplies including flowers, pin-wheels, bubbles, and even fairy wings! Then, I went to my stash in the basement and found all sorts of little treasures that have been waiting in bins to be used, including pink and lavender sparkly butterfly ribbons. Even the glittery pink and red heart picks that I used for the Valentine party can now be recreated into fairy wands for the girls.

Today....oohhhhh today....was the creme de la creme! Visiting my favorite thrift store, a converted old barn that the workers there keep clean, organized and well-stocked, I was completely bedazzled by all the Spring and Easter goodies they had for sale. I grabbed all kinds of knick-knacks that would fit in perfect with our theme.

Old porcelain dishes decorated with flowers, a robin's egg candy dish shaped like a butterfly, a dish shaped like a leaf, a big pink bow, watering can, basket with blue gingham lining, a sparkly white angel (or fairy in this case) and this really cute little ballerina figurine are just some of the things I picked up.

The BEST part was the surprise that was waiting for me upstairs. A gorgeous white canopy, embellished with ivy, birds, flowers, butterflies, and a huge yellow dragon fly was hanging right there in front of me! I couldn't believe it. It's absolutely PERFECT for the party! I decided to hang it up in the curved entrance way between the Dining Room and Living Room so it will act as a mystical porthole from one room to the other. After the girls decorate their wings, make wands, and crowns of flowers on top of their heads, I'll have them step into the netting as little girls, don their outfits and come out the other side as fairies. That's where we'll give them their official Fairy Name.

There's so much do. Even though I've got a few weeks to plan, the urge to get moving is overwhelming. Once an idea comes to me, I practically get tunnel-vision until it's all over.

In a world so full of chaos, I'm so grateful to God for giving me the gift of creativity. I love that He uses my eyes, my hands, and my heart to touch the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR VISITING!